• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Holster recommendations for s&w model 686 6"

CoreyH

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Evenin fine ODT folks, I recently acquired a nice model 686 with a 6" barrel from a gentlemen on these very forums and am now looking for a holster for said lovely piece. I'd prefer a shoulder rig that can also be used on my belt if I choose to carry it that way.

When it was my duty weapon I carried it on my hip with one of those thumb snap single retention holsters and I'd prefer something similar simply for muscle memory sake. So are their any shoulder rigs y'all would recommend? I'd prefer to conceal it as much as possible in either form, but let's face it.....it's a big pistol heh.

Thanks y'all for stopping by and take care.

I carried a 6" 629 in a Ross, was a field holster, suede lined. Supposed to fit L frames too.
But was a field holster. Ran it without thumb strap. Damn I miss that .44

Hip.
Like Kydex paddle for non belt through.
Leather for belt through.
Everything OWB

Shoulder holster, had a 4" 629 in one for a couple yrs.
Chiropractic nightmare (bad neck).

A 6" 686 with a trigger job is wicked accurate. They make auto-jammers look like a shotgun pattern.

Right now I'm looking for a fully lined cross draw holster with a full flap to carry and protect mine

Why a cross draw?
A 686 with a 6 inch Barrel is almost 12 inches long. I carried mine as a duty weapon for years in a break front holster.

I’m not impressed by the folks who open carry, and was looking for a More low key way to carry it. I was looking for a holster that would carry it almost horizontally.

I am not concerned with being the fastest draw and the full flap will cover and provide greater protectIon as well as a little subtlety.

I’m not impressed by the folks who open carry, and was looking for a More low key way to carry it. I was looking for a holster that would carry it almost horizontally.

I too would prefer to carry it concealed, I believe a weapon someone doesn't know about is much more effective than one they do. If someone intends to say, rob a store and sees your sidearm you just then become a target if they are determined to rob the place.

I've been looking for most of the day on various holsters and brands. Are there any you'd recommend? Id also like to see what holster you decide on for your cross draw.

I too would prefer to carry it concealed, I believe a weapon someone doesn't know about is much more effective than one they do. If someone intends to say, rob a store and sees your sidearm you just then become a target if they are determined to rob the place.

I've been looking for most of the day on various holsters and brands. Are there any you'd recommend? Id also like to see what holster you decide on for your cross draw.
I have just been trading PM's with @TKIM about making a holster for my 686. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/some-more-completed-holsters-and-such.2264179/

Right now my EDC is a Detonics 45 in a smartcarry. The ultimate in deep carry!

Because the 686 is so big I never really looked for an off duty holster for it. Recently I have been kinda looking for a crossdraw with flap for a while. I'm thinking subtle without advertising 'gun dispenser.'

I have just been trading PM's with @TKIM about making a holster for my 686. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/some-more-completed-holsters-and-such.2264179/

Right now my EDC is a Detonics 45 in a smartcarry. The ultimate in deep carry!

Because the 686 is so big I never really looked for an off duty holster for it. Recently I have been kinda looking for a crossdraw with flap for a while. I'm thinking subtle without advertising 'gun dispenser.'

His work certainly looks amazing. Thanks for the heads up

Back
Top Bottom