• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

hogs hogs and more hogs

Have guns, NV gear, suppressors, and ammo... Will travel.

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_05_10_uhu8ysaz.jpg

Last edited:
We are shooting on private property with a special permit from game warden to hunt nuisance animals at night using suppressors.. We ran it all by the game warden and keep the permit on us on hunts...

We can not eat all the meat, we kill 2 to 20 hogs a night more sometimes... We feed a lot of coyotes and buzzards.

Crop damage control is our main concern.

Thanks for clearing that up. My buddy has 3000 acres down near Girard, so I just wanted to get the facts straight before we went shooting at night.

We are shooting on private property with a special permit from game warden to hunt nuisance animals at night using suppressors.. We ran it all by the game warden and keep the permit on us on hunts...

We can not eat all the meat, we kill 2 to 20 hogs a night more sometimes... We feed a lot of coyotes and buzzards.

Crop damage control is our main concern.

thats a good point, i guess ive never seen the damage they cause, but if fish and game oks it sounds like its a bigger problem thani thought! sounds like a ton. d you hunt them at night for a particular reason?

thats a good point, i guess ive never seen the damage they cause, but if fish and game oks it sounds like its a bigger problem thani thought! sounds like a ton. d you hunt them at night for a particular reason?

Yes... Hogs can't see well at night. They can however smell really well, we can stalk up to within and less than 40 yards if the wind is in our faces, dark night and everyone is quiet enough... We don't have to look to hard for them at night. Just go to where the crop damage is... They will be there, feeding and making large pits (rooting up the ground)

They feed a lot at nights in the summer months... Next time I'm out I will take a good pic of a large group... I have stood in a field with over 50 of them...

Must have on big boy underwear... They will only (so called) charge at you if you are in their way of exit... Rarely has one charged at us in anger... (Nothing a few well placed rounds from a semi-auto can't discourage)

Last edited:
They just love peanut crop, the group I hunt with eradicated over 320 hogs last year... We can't kill them as fast as they breed. We can tell we are pushing them off areas for periods of time, but they come back to these types of food source quickly.

Last edited:
so do you eat them? do they taste similar to what you would get at the store? any concerns i should know in cleaning one? are the piglets more tender?is too much test in the males so you eat female only? i will shoot 4-5 of them if i have to to have enough meat to suply a shindig---but im one of those that have no interest in killing something unless i am gonna use it. im not the best with wasting stuff but i understand the males are dangerous and can do some serious damage to a fella

Wild pigs are similiar in taste to farm raised pig with a slight gamey after taste. I smoke the meat at 165deg for 18-24 hours, with a generous helping of spices, garlic, etc. Smoke them in a aluminum pan that will collect the fat as it turns to liquid and after 6 hours or so, cover the meat so it doesnt dry out.
Ribs, shoulders, butt, back strap, all good eating.

The left overs can taste a bit more gamey than when its right out of the smoker. My entire neighborhood shows up when I start smokin.

As far as cleaning them, just make sure you got all the dirt off the meat, there is a lot of germs in dirt, but as long as you've cooked it over 165, you wil have killed any bacteria or germs. Hair wont hurt you, but your guests wont appreciate it, so get all the stray hog hairs off.

I have a couple hunks of meat in the freezer from 300ACC Hog hunter if you want to try out your smoking skills, I will trade for some decent beer, or a handle of rum.

Wild pigs are similiar in taste to farm raised pig with a slight gamey after taste. I smoke the meat at 165deg for 18-24 hours, with a generous helping of spices, garlic, etc. Smoke them in a aluminum pan that will collect the fat as it turns to liquid and after 6 hours or so, cover the meat so it doesnt dry out.
Ribs, shoulders, butt, back strap, all good eating.

The left overs can taste a bit more gamey than when its right out of the smoker. My entire neighborhood shows up when I start smokin.

As far as cleaning them, just make sure you got all the dirt off the meat, there is a lot of germs in dirt, but as long as you've cooked it over 165, you wil have killed any bacteria or germs. Hair wont hurt you, but your guests wont appreciate it, so get all the stray hog hairs off.

I have a couple hunks of meat in the freezer from 300ACC Hog hunter if you want to try out your smoking skills, I will trade for some decent beer, or a handle of rum.

That's awesome, love this forum

Back
Top Bottom