• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hog Hunting with a 10/22

Pigs aren't too bright. They can't see very well, either. If it can't smell you or see you move, then it will not know you are there.

If one charges you, step behind a tree at the last minute. They don't turn so fast. If it gets real bad (as in you can't shoot very well) grab a back leg and flip it onto its side. They're flat on the sides, so its relatively easy to keep them pinned until you cut the jugular.

Pigs aren't too bright. They can't see very well, either. If it can't smell you or see you move, then it will not know you are there.

If one charges you, step behind a tree at the last minute. They don't turn so fast. If it gets real bad (as in you can't shoot very well) grab a back leg and flip it onto its side. They're flat on the sides, so its relatively easy to keep them pinned until you cut the jugular.

Hawg wrestling...I like it. Still, rather shoot one than wrestle one.

And...I also carried a .357 on my side for the close stuff yesterday. Then again...it's not too often that I don't have a .357 on my hip when I am not at work.

Yeah a good catahoula and a Ka-Bar make for a fun hunting trip. I remember as teens my buddies used to go out and get smaller hogs like that. Don't mess the the Javelina though.....those things will tear up a dog worse than a bobcat will, probably like the mountain lions I've heard about here.

If I ever get the chance to go hog hunting I have two guns I'll be taking, a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 w/300 gr. Rem. JHPs and my old model Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt loaded with Cor-Bon 300 gr. JSPs traveling @ 1300 fps strapped on my hip for backup! Nothing smaller than .45 cal. for me. Even if I bowhunt em' that Vaquero & Cor-Bon combo is gonna be in the tree with me, gotta climb down sometime! LOL!

My cousin Tony has been after me to go Hog hunting with him, well,its small game season so you have to use,.22 cal or smaller or muzzle loader or bow.I only have my ruger 10/22 or bow,Tony has been using a 17hmr , and has killed 3 hogs, he said if you shoot them right behind the ear you can kill them ,ergo,the 3 he has killed. I have always heard about how dangerous hogs are,how hard they are to kill??

#1. Check your regulations, unless WMA regs are different, and your hunting on a WMA. All Big Game (Deer and Bear) firearms are allowed. Hog hunting is Year round in Ga.
#2. No way in HeCK I go to the woods without 1 of either my .44mag, .45, or .357 on my side. If I'm huntin Hog it's with the .243, the '06, or the 12gauge w/slug and 00buck.

I've seen what wounded hogs can do to well trained Catahoula Hog Huntin dogs. Unless I'm absolutly sure it's dead, before I get to close, I'll put a second kill shot in that sucker real quick. Don't take no chances with no Hogs.

Last edited:

I hear you I would like to see you jump on a pig over 200lbs and think your just going to wrestle him down. With dog's sure we hunt them with dogs and that's a different story, but just walking up on one in the woods exspecially in stuff so think you can see more then afew feeet I would like to see that.

I dont care what anyone say's pigs are some of the smartest animal's ive ever hunted. They can see better then most people think, they can smell just as good as a deer, and their hearing is great.

I hear you I would like to see you jump on a pig over 200lbs and think your just going to wrestle him down. With dog's sure we hunt them with dogs and that's a different story, but just walking up on one in the woods exspecially in stuff so think you can see more then afew feeet I would like to see that.

I dont care what anyone say's pigs are some of the smartest animal's ive ever hunted. They can see better then most people think, they can smell just as good as a deer, and their hearing is great.

OK, when we goin'? I got to see these Einstein swine.

Don't know where you learned your Hawg lessons from (Animal Planet, maybe), but they're some of the Smartest creatures on this Planet. Besides hunting them, we used to farm hogs and I'm talking 100-500. Their far from the ignorant animal you think they are. We even had one that was more of a pet, that would jump into the back of the Truck and go to Town with us. And I'd certainly like to see just how fast you move when there's a 200lb+ pissed off Pork Chop coming after your a$$. Let alone think your just going to reach down and grab a leg and flip it on it's side. I'd pay good money to watch that scenario.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom