• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hog hunting help

amc5

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, this new hunting club I am on apparently has too many hogs. I see signs of them for sure. Last year they shot about 50+. I have gone twice, and neither saw or heard any. I am sure I am doing it all wrong. Any tips appreciated. Is there a such thing, as a economically way to hunt them at night? I do not really have 2k to spend on a nightvision scope. We tried a red light from Academy, but lasted all of about an hour due to its crappy battery life.

I have seen decent priced monoculars, but that doesnt do to much good in my opinion, as you cannot exactly aim while looking through something hand held.

Thanks

They usually come out right before sunrise and sun set. In between, you better go get lunch and nap. Night time, theres no other way except thermal or nightvision. The red light works too, theres other devices that last pretty long. Or you can go to Gum Log and shoot at like 12-15 a day.

Use your post hole digger and dig several holes 2 feet deep. Mix vanilla with deer corn and fill holes 8 to 10 inches from top of hole. Hogs can't get there nose all the way to the corn so they hang around all night and root to the bottom of the holes to get every last nugget. Do this during big moon on a clear night. Back off about 30 yards get comfee in a lawn chair and wait for the hogs. Lots of success doing this. Good luck. It's more fun than a new ride at six flags.

They don't like heat or hot days. Fall, winter, and spring is best. Right now is pitiful (unless you're out at night).
JMHO

They don't like heat or hot days. Fall, winter, and spring is best. Right now is pitiful (unless you're out at night).
JMHO

100% true. You'd get about 30 mins during sunrise to shoot'em or 30 mins before sunset if you wanted to hunt during daylight hours. Best bet is thermal at night in the summer.

Yup holes with corn 3 foot deep. A metal 5 gallon bucket with lid with small 1/2 holes drilled in it with a cable and a anchor attached. And a timed feeder to feed early morning and late evening right before dark. Put trail camera on and wait 2 weeks and make sure corn dosen't run out. Next check camera and set up ground blind which I like better because of scent and wait. Use a shotgun with slugs or buckshot at close range or a ar15 with good well made bullets and let em fly hit shoulders or heads and u should be able to usually get 3 to 5 out of a group at any sitting and a good thermacell for the mosquitos. Has been working good for us using this technique. After u kill usually have to pull out for a few weeks so set up maybe a few spots to rotate. The metal bucket is also good to use for hearing them especially at night as they have to move it around to get corn out of the holes. Or u can set up a motion light on the feeder. They have some of the house solar charged deals which are pretty good. U don't need much light to see thru a scope and always keep the wind to your face hogs are very good at detecting anything that shouldn't be there and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom