• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HK P7

And the whole “it heats up” Slogan is beat to death. In a self defense situation if your P7 gets so hot you can not touch it .... well sometimes it’s just time to go.
While I wholeheartedly agree with this, mine just flat out sucked to shoot after 4 mags.
That's 36 rounds. Not a fantastical amount of shooting. And no I don't want to shoot 2 mags, set it down and wait and the shoot two more.

And it killed me, because they are so awesome to shoot. They make you want to shoot more!

I finally have to sell all mine when my RA would flare up and I could barely button a shirt, let alone reliably squeeze it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

While I wholeheartedly agree with this, mine just flat out sucked to shoot after 4 mags.
That's 36 rounds. Not a fantastical amount of shooting. And no I don't want to shoot 2 mags, set it down and wait and the shoot two more.

And it killed me, because they are so awesome to shoot. They make you want to shoot more!

I finally have to sell all mine when my RA would flare up and I could barely button a shirt, let alone reliably squeeze it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I know you a gun fighter and all but dang man you could take on the bluff and not fire 36 rounds .
Hell piss on it . Spit , anything . Also the p7m13 has a heat shield . It takes much more than 36 . The psp is a police service pistol. They don’t have crime that requires 36 rounds

I know you a gun fighter and all but dang man you could take on the bluff and not fire 36 rounds .
Hell piss on it . Spit , anything . Also the p7m13 has a heat shield . It takes much more than 36 . The psp is a police service pistol. They don’t have crime that requires 36 rounds

I am not saying this is a minus. I fully understand that the gun was designed and mad with on specific goal: have an accurate, utterly reliable, POLICE pistol. As such, those specific qualities help it to excel as a EDC pistol.

The OP posited the query why it is no longer made is some fashion. I tried to answer to the best of my ability with my fairly decent knowledge of the pistol (HK armorer) and its history, juxtaposed against the modern "high speed-low drag" Glock 19 loving schools of shooting that permeate our gun community.

The P7 is a engineering wonder and truly a marvel to shoot. I absolutely love the gun. I just think that the vast majority of people do not or can not understand the level of epic (for lack of a better word) this weapon brings to the table. Hence it's lack of viability from a commercial standpoint.

*PS
It does get hot. You know it, I know it, the American people know it (my best Trump voice!) And HK new it. Thats why the M8 & M13 have "heat shields"

*PPS
For all the 9mm averse Fudds... P7M7 ftw

P7M13 for the win! Seems like everyone has jumped on board all the old school HK bandwagon stuff. Be it Roller Lock guns or older pistol variants. Even the Mk23 has gone up in price. It's like old sports cars that no one ever used to bat an eye at. Now... Everyone and their mother is aboard this old school stuff. (Myself included to some degree). Old school quality, craftsmanship and materials is becoming a much more rare thing to see these days in a world of recycled cheap plastics etc.

I'm only guessing because I'm willing to put zero additional research into it. I think the P7M8 (American style magazine release) was developed and marketed toward police - I want to say NJ State Police specifically. Once it became clear that police departments were gravitating toward cheaper and simpler options, it must have made sense to H&K that they'd need to focus in a new direction. I look forward to finding some clarification here in this thread.

Take a look at the Forgotten Weapons vid I linked to. It goes through all of this... Among other things he discusses how HK priced themselves out of both the civilian and the police markets, and in large part started the whole "Hi. We're HK and we hate you... You Suck" perception with their attempt at marketing through snob-appeal.

Reactions: GFB
I am late to this thread.

P7 is my favorite bar none..I was buying them back when they were $600/$700 range which put them into direct competition with Colt 1911's.
It was during the Hi-Capacity wonder nine era.
How many times do you want to miss the target?
If you need 45/60 rounds, you need back up and a carbine.

America is like:
"Ya..I like it but I can buy a 1911 for the same cash."
1911 is purchased and stays in the safe and a cheaper gun is purchased (Glock) for actual use/carry.

P7 isn't a game gun.
Carry it, be secure and ultra safe with it..most kids can't even squeeze cock it even if they know how.

Precision machining to match custom guns cost..whats a Wilson, Les Bauer, Ed Brown cost?
Even a tuned 1911 exceeded the P7 entry price at the time.
HK priced their self out of the market and yes they had a negative civilian consumer stance.

If your having to use the P7 in a gun fight:
You will not notice the heat after 3 mags.
You should have brought a carbine for the all out firefight.
Glad you had it on you while leaving the movies, grocery store, gas station, pedicure shop..ect.

I love a good 1911 in .45acp, but I have never had the urge to trade a P7 for one.

P7..like a 1911..but for men secure in their abilities.

PART_1548604851496_KIMG2999.jpg
PART_1548604849315_KIMG2998.jpg
PART_1548604819855_KIMG3000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom