• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hiking Sticks

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Before I order a hiking stick off of Etsy or somewhere similar does anyone here make them in their free time? My daughters birthday is in 2.5 weeks and she has been grasping this stick she found hiking yesterday and won't let it go. She is obsessed with the idea that she has a "hiking stick" so I want to get her a real one. Maybe something wood burned with her name, painted, whatever is possible. I'm sure prices will vary widely based off the amount of time spent so that can all be discussed. Just would prefer to keep the money in local hands.

Thanks,

IMG_2011.JPG

I am an advocate for cheap and disposable hiking sticks, walking staffs, trekking poles, whatever you call them.
The best kind are once you cut yourselves from the trunks of saplings or the limbs of mature trees that are very strong would like oak or hickory.
I want hiking staff that's easily replaceable, one that I'm not afraid to get scratched up on rocks, or afraid to lean on heavily when you're going down a steep rocky trail, crossing a stream with rushing water up to the middle of your thighs, etc.

Hiking sticks can get broken under such conditions, and I wouldn't want to have one that was such an investment in time and money building yet that I would be upset if it got lost / destroyed along the way

I cut two earlier this spring;
the one I use is 46 inches tall.
The one for a female friend is only 38 inches tall.

They are about 1.5 inches diameter on the thick end,
tapering down to 1 or 0.8 inch on the bottom end.

After I chop them out of the woods with a machete, I take them home and put them in my bench vice the garage and use a coping saw, and a wood rasp, to cut off or

grind
D8316236-F28D-4F38-9CD3-EC57DB71CBE6.jpeg
down some of the bumps to make a fairly smooth and comfortable gripping surface on the top 8 inches.

I use snow ski poles found at a flea market, they are light weight, have a metal tip on the bottom ,most have hand straps and they are cheap (I gave 5 bucks for two brought here by some snowbirds)

I use snow ski poles found at a flea market, they are light weight, have a metal tip on the bottom ,most have hand straps and they are cheap (I gave 5 bucks for two brought here by some snowbirds)
I have all typs of walking sticks from homemade to store bought, but I agree on ski poles and have a few sets of those as well. Your comments cover most all attributes one would want in a dependable hiking stick. [Except perhaps converting into a 22lr caliber rifle such as used in one of the Roger Moore James Bond movies. I think, The Spy Who Loved Me.] Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom