• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hi-Standard HD Military 22LR - Need repair advice

tazmajazz

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hi guys! First post here but I read through some of the other threads and I'm hoping I might find some help. I got an older Hi-Standard HD Military 22LR from my grandfather that will not chamber a round. I disassembled it and realized that the recoil spring was not compressed and after some reading, I found out how to compress the spring and reinstall the slide. While I was doing this, the "slide lock button" and "slide lock spring" fell out (I had to look up a schematic to determine what those parts were). I do not have experience repairing guns but am eager to learn, am familiar with shooting and cleaning guns etc, and am very technically inclined. Can anyone give me some direction on how to reinstall these parts? I can't figure how to put the slide lock button and spring back into the frame. I've included a couple of pics for reference. The button came out of the hole that is just behind the trigger. There is a story behind this gun that makes me really want to get it working for sentimental reasons. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

taz

histandard22.jpghistandard22slidelockspring.jpg

Google disassembly and pick the one that works well for you. Once dissembled then once cleaned, if no parts are broken or missing, then reassemble your gun using one of the reassembly web sites or Youtube.

Welcome to the trader, sir.

Edit.

These are great copycat's of Colt Woodsman series pistols and were well made. I have not taken one down but if it's anything like the Woodsman you have your work cut out for you as I still scratch my head and think WTF was J. Browning thinking of. I spent hours trying to get the slide release back in and only got it in with some thick bearing grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RamRoddoc, thanks for the info! I had actually already watched that exact video on youtube and that is how I determined that the recoil spring was not being depressed when I was putting the slide back on. I was able to figure out how to reassemble the slide after watching that video, however, the problem that I have is with the slide lock button and spring. I must have a different model because as you can see in my picture I have a hole just behind the trigger where this button goes. The video doesn't address this button and I've done quite a bit of research and although I can find schematics and can order a new button and spring, I can't find anywhere that has any info on reinstalling the button and spring... I hope I am explaining myself well enough here, please let me know if you think some more pictures or information would be helpful. Thanks again.

taz

These pictures show it better. One picture with the grip on so you can see where the button is positioned, and one picture with the grip removed so you can see where the button sits underneath the grip. Upon closer inspection, I can't really see what in the world this button would do...what function does it perform? I know it is called the "slide lock button" but I really don't see how it would lock the slide anywhere...any thoughts?

histandardc.jpghistandardd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom