• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

help w/ pistols please

Rose13Bud

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
First do not laugh - hopefully point me in the right direction
Someone gave me a 9mm S&W 3914 a long time ago and I have not shot it nor am I familiar w/ 9mm. I have not shot in years and then rifles and revolvers. I decided since I have this 9mm I might as well use it. Well I had hand surgery and am having difficulty w/ the slide, plus I do not know 9mm. So I went around to the ranges and I swear everyone told me something different. I should trade it for a revolver and numerous opinions on which ones, I should keep it and take a lesson and maybe I could use it. Everyone told me a different price on how much I would get on a trade or what it was worth. One guy said to come here and see what one was listed for sale but there is not any listed.
Any ideas?

This> '' I should keep it and take a lesson and maybe I could use it.''

If you haven't shot in years, a lesson or 2 would be a good way to get back in to it, also you might get to shoot a few different weapons and find out which one is best suited for you.

I found two that sold last year for 4 and 450. Those prices may be inflated from the gun control scare. Find a range that rents multiple guns for one fee and try out a bunch. Any shop should let you rack the slide on the guns.

Last edited:
Well I had hand surgery and am having difficulty w/ the slide,
Any ideas?

To me, this would help me decide to keep it or not. If racking the slide is too hard, I'd think about getting a revolver. I've had surgery on my left thumb and sometimes it gets hard to rack certain pistols. I've gotten rid of any like that because I want to be 100% certain that I can use what I'm carrying at the time.

No offense meant, but have you looked up different techniques to manipulating the slide? I had to show my girlfriend a different way to rack the slide, because she couldnt pinch the rear serrations and pull it back. Shes not weak (played college volleyball) but the muscles in her hand couldnt grab the slide like some people can.

Get on youtube, and look for a way that works for you.

A S&W 3914 is a great little 9mm auto pistol...in good condition today you ought to be able to get anywhere from $350-$450 for it, depending on how badly the buyer wants it. However, as has already been said, if you can't reliably manipulate the slide, it's useless to you. If your hand surgery is preventing you from being able to manipulate the slide, a revolver is a very solid choice. You should be able to easily sell/trade your way into one with the pistol you have now.

Back
Top Bottom