• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help needed: Colt SAA 1874

godawgs90

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
466   0
Reaction score
A dear friend of mine uncovered his father's pistol recently, an 1874 Colt Single Action Army. Calling Colt was of little help, saying they had lost the records. (Who can blame them after a century)

I told him I'd ask the ODT.

He's looking for any info someone may have: If it would be safe to use modern ammo, what purpose / where it may have been used, and a general value (though I can be certain it will never be for sale)

Any knowledgeable comments are welcome!

Thanks fellas!
IMG_7789.jpg
IMG_7790.jpg
IMG_7791.jpg
IMG_7792.jpg
IMG_7793.jpg

Very nice!

That’s a very early 1st Generation with the “black powder frame”, before they went to the spring-loaded transverse pin for retaining the base pin. They changed this designed starting with serial number 164,100.

The model is an 1873, the one you have pictured was made in 1874.

What’s the caliber? Should be on the left side of the barrel.

Very nice!

That’s a very early 1st Generation with the “black powder frame”, before they went to the transverse pin for retaining the base pin. They changed this designed starting with serial number 164,100.

The model is an 1873, the one you have pictured was made in 1874.

What’s the caliber? Should be on the left side of the barrel.

It is a .45 (I assume Long Colt?)

From what I can tell its an all matching Colt saa from 1883 or 84. Probably 1883. That would make it
a black powder gun. It would not be safe for modern ammo. A gunsmith should check it out and then you could probably fire black powder load. It appears to have been nickel at one time. The values are very subjective. I would guess 3 to 5 grand. A colt letter would be cool but they lost records in a fire. These guns were used extensively out west. We can only dream where and how they were used. It would .45lc. Cool piece of history.

From what I can tell its an all matching Colt saa from 1883 or 84. Probably 1883. That would make it
a black powder gun. It would not be safe for modern ammo. A gunsmith should check it out and then you could probably fire black powder load. It appears to have been nickel at one time. The values are very subjective. I would guess 3 to 5 grand. A colt letter would be cool but they lost records in a fire. These guns were used extensively out west. We can only dream where and how they were used. It would .45lc. Cool piece of history.

This^.
It is serial number 87137, 1884 black powder frame gun. As in black powder only, no modern smokeless powder.
Some of the modern cowboy action light loads might be ok but that's iffy.
Looks to be the bare metal showing to me, not nickel. It may have been "cleaned" down to the steel.
In that condition value is very subjective. If it has not been put on a grinder or aggressively cleaned in the past then it is probably worth more and best left in original condition.
If all the parts match but it HAS been buffed and cleaned to bare metal then you could send it to someone like Turnbull's for a complete restoration.
Cool gun but beware of mismatched parts...lots of those old guns were faked and made up from parts.
Better pictures would help....especially of all the markings on the frame and barrel.
Colt Forum will tell you all you want to know if you post good pictures.

Back
Top Bottom