• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

help my son is addicted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its definitely tough for us younger folks now than when your generation was our age. Nobody who pays worth a damn will hire you unless you know someone who can get your foot in the door. What happened to the good ol days where if you could do the job you got the job? Now it depends on test scores, background checks, credit checks, and only god knows what else. A lot of people don't see the difference and they just play it off as our generation is lazy and yes some of us are extremely lazy but I'm gonna guess y'all had those types of people around in the 70s 80s and 90s as well. I have tons of college certifications in welding and computers, and now I'm working on business management. I still rarely get a call for an interview because they want experience. Well how does one get experience if nobody will give you a shot? The good ol days are gone! What can you do but keep on keeping on?

Maybe your son steers towards games because our reality can suck quickly. Even after he gets a degree he may still end up at McDonald's without the right connections (I know people in that boat). Its easy to be successful in video games and at the end of the day we're all looking for those little victories to feel good about. Maybe GTA V is his...

I actually met a guy 3 weeks ago that makes background sounds for video games. He lives in a home well over a million dollars and he had a Lamborghini and a Ferrari F458 sitting in his garage. And he was in his low 30's

Story mode got boring at about 50% completion and online can only keep me entertained for an hour or two if I find a good lobby. Just put some demands on him(chores or Job) and his time will fill up meeting them, or he will face the punishment. Here were things my parents used to hold over my head but I was smart enough to never test.

1. We won't give you any spending money(at about 17 I was told I was responsible for any leisure money of my own so I started working more hours)
2. We'll take away your car
3. we'll take your bedroom door away

Chores were normal things like once a week I had to clean a floor of the home, twice a week I had to plan and cook the family meal, wash and interior clean all the cars every other week, I was responsible for taking cars in for maintenance, wash dogs once a week, and some other things I can't really recall.

Gives your kid a sense of belonging and purpose and helps him build good work ethic. Some families thought my parents were like the chore nazis, but I honestly loved it, plus they gave me a lot of freedom since I proved not to be lazy or into bad stuff.

19 year old living at home here. Full time school and work is crappy, but it puts guns in the safe and degrees on paper. I work in retail and it would pay enough(it would be close) to move out, but why? Living at home means I can pay for school in cash so I have absolutely no debt. My dad is a gun lover and I pay my "rent" in ammo at the range :thumb:. There is an unspoken agreement between my parents and I that if I stay in school, get good grades, stay out of trouble, and am not a dick, I can stay. My parents would rather see me saving money than struggling to eat each month. They know from experience that staying out of debt is one of the most important things.

Lot's of college kids have it harder than me. Lot's of college kids also listen to horrible pop music and watch MTV. Put that kid on a steady diet of Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash.

Getting a job for him may suck. Being our age and deciding to work 40 hours a week and going to school full time is a big change. You lose time for things like video games and sleeping. With that in mind, I have never met an adult that works full time that gets enough sleep or time to do what he/she wants.

Its definitely tough for us younger folks now than when your generation was our age.

I disagree, people from every generation have been saying this. Same as every older generation saying that younger generation are lazy, stupid, and lacking moral values. I can almost guarantee that when I am 60 I'll look at the younger generation and think that they are losers. It's all the same stuff, just a different year.

I'm 21 and make median american income.
And I say this to say, it was in who I know. I passed the required tests on my own, but doubt they would of handed he tests to a kid, had I not had the recommendation I did.
The job market truly is terrible, sure don't miss retail, But something is better than nothing.

At age 19 I was at Gainesville college and working 40 hours a week, I bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma 4X4 and already had a paid off jet ski. If I wasn't at school, working or on the lake, I was looking for a private spot with my girlfriend. Kids these days. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom