• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

heat pump question

The Old Jaybird

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
During the current "hot spell" we have been running the heat pump from about 10 am to 10 pm, letting it rest overnight, and to prevent freezing up. Works good this way.

Question for the experts....Any harm from doing this?? House stays comfortable, only running pump half the time, so less electricity.

If it's working for you then it should be fine, I always recommend leaving the thermostat set to the same temperature all the time due to the system has to work harder to change the temperature than it does to maintain the temperature. A lot of people don't realize when the temperature rises in a home it's not just the air that warms up it's the walls, the floor, the ceiling, the furniture, then when you turn it down now it has to cool everything and works the system harder than it needs to.

In my experience, it costs more to cool it back down than what is saved turning it up and down or on and off.
Set ours on 71° in the summer and 67° in the winter. That was learned the hard way several summers back and the power bill stayed over $ 400 every month. Now its right at $300 and we've had several rate hikes.

Shouldnt have to worry about your unit freezing up if it is working properly. Find it best to find a temperature that works and leave it there vs cutting off the u it completely. As others have said, it can cost more to cool back down than to keep the temperature

I have a heat pump and keep it running 24/7. We keep it at 72° during the day and 68° at night. I just replaced the original 15 year old unit last year because it wouldn’t cool below 78° in the afternoon and would freeze up (caused by a leak in the condenser). Fixing the condenser was going to be almost half as much as a new high efficiency unit so I did the math. This month’s electric bill was $150 for a 2800sq ft house. On a side note, my basement stays at 70° all summer without the a/c running. The basement a/c almost never comes on. We keep it set at 72° but occasionally turn it down to 68° just to circulate the air and to keep it from getting musty down there.

Back
Top Bottom