hearing protection for kids when hunting

Both my boys wear the electronic ear muffs. They really like them ! The only draw back is they get in the way sometimes when they lean to one side while looking down the barrel. But other than that they work very well. They sell them at Walmart too. I think they are Winchester.

Thank you guys!
Well, I know how the electronic earmuff work an I think it is an excellent suggestion. But do your kids actually use them for hunting trips?
The reason why I am asking is that one thing is wearing something for 45-60 minutes at a range, and another is wearing the same thing for two or more hours while walking in the woods, especially for a young kid (mine is 9). Not that my son likes to complain but I see that he does not like to use the earmuff and he is very happy when he can remove it even for few seconds, and the safety glasses don't help a lot either.

That was an option I was actually considering. I guess it depends on the caliber.
Please do NOT do that. ALWAYS have them wear hearing protection. When they are adults if they want to make poor decisions then that's fine. Buy some decent electronic muffs, they are very affordable now even decent quality ones, and let him take them off for a few minutes every now and then if it bothers him.
What I wouldn't give to not have tinnitus.... :(

Thank you guys!

The reason why I am asking is that one thing is wearing something for 45-60 minutes at a range, and another is wearing the same thing for two or more hours while walking in the woods, especially for a young kid (mine is 9). .

For extended wear I would look at some comfortable electronic ones like the Howard Leight impacts, the slim light weight profile is perfect for extended use. As with most things you get what you pay for so see if you can get him to try some on and find something that will work.

Please do NOT do that. ALWAYS have them wear hearing protection. When they are adults if they want to make poor decisions then that's fine. Buy some decent electronic muffs, they are very affordable now even decent quality ones, and let him take them off for a few minutes every now and then if it bothers him.
What I wouldn't give to not have tinnitus.... :(

Ditto. It's not an option. My son wears them or we go home.

Howard Leight Impacts it is. Just ordered them. In the worst case they will be an improvement for when we go to the shooting range but I'm sure they will work well for hunting as well.

Thanks guys!

My son and I went out yesterday with his new Howard Leight Impacts. They work very well. We only shot the .22 but the noise reduction seems to be very good. Actually one nice thing about the microphones is that the you can clearly hear the shots. And for a kid that is even more fun.
As far as general comfort is concerned, I would say that they are OK but the benefit of being able to hear everything that happens around you while walking in the wood is definetly a BIG plus.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Too bad The only thing I can use are ear plugs otherwise I would buy one for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom