• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has PSA started something with their $600 "blem" GF3's?

teearr

Eagle Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
Here's a screenshot of a Century Arms imported Romanian built AK47. Question is, will this serve to bring prices down for AK47's in general? I know there are a lot of differences in the quality of the various manufacturers' models but 1.5 mil. receivers, bulged or forged trunnions and chromed barrels seem to be key talking points.

I know little to nothing about AK47's in general, let alone the various models currently on the market, but would like to see some feedback vs. the Century Arms and Palmetto products. Thanks.

1702579809911.png

Tl;dr
Price: gf3<vska<wasr-10
Quality: vska<gf3<wasr-10

Edit: Romanian VSKAs from century are about $1100 right now.

As someone who got a blem gf3, I got to say that they’re pretty good. The blemish on mine turned out to be a dent on the right side of the receiver on the magwell. It would take plastic mags but steel ones wouldn’t fit. A little bit of filing with a steel file and I haven’t had a problem with it since.

Personal anecdotes aside. Romania is not know for their quality control, and neither is Century. Buying a Romanian Wasr-10 is not a guarantee at a good rifle. If you get a good set of parts that were assembled well, then you’ve got a damn great AK and nothing to worry about. If you don’t, well, hope you know a good gunsmith. To century’s credit, they have gotten a *lot* better about their builds over the years, and I’d say that if you’re buying one today then the odds are heavily in your favor. If you don’t feel like rolling the dice, however slim the margin of getting a “bad one” is, I’d suggest entirely American-made AK’s over European rebuilds

Currently, both PSA and Century are making AK’s entirely out of US-made parts. All of the gf3’s and Century’s VSKA are made here. In this area of the market, PSA has Century beat. Comparing the gf3 and the VSKA, the VSKA is a little bit heavier than my gf3 and just seems a little bit crunchier. My blem gf3 (once fixed, of course) runs smoother than most VSKAs I’ve seen and for a couple hundred dollars cheaper, that’s a pretty damn good deal. You’d be better off buying a blem gf3 and paying a gunsmith $100 to fix it. You’d still save money compared to the VSKA and you’d end up with a better gun.

As for comparing the blem gf3 and the Romanian wasr-10 that century is selling: out of the box, a blem is a blem. The gf3 is going to have problems. If you didn’t want problems, you should’ve payed for one that wasn’t a blem. The wasr-10 is going to beat it every day of the week. However, the blem gf3 is almost $500 cheaper than the Wasr-10. My controversial opinion is that if you buy a blem gf3 and spend $500 worth of time and money tricking it out and fixing it up, you will end up with a nicer rifle than a stock wasr-10, for about the same price.

Palmetto will do to the AK market what they did to the AR market now that all the kinks on their line are relatively worked out. I dont really get the love of the wasr and vska they used to be absolute bottom of the barrel guns (i own wasr's and do like them im not biased) till they were the only thing available then they became "amazing" obviously compared to the us offerings vs arsenal at the time and the vastly different costs those two are. But that in my opinion is fast fading with PSA really taking hold of the reigns and investing in their gf3/4/5 line.

I bought a GF3 a year ago when they were doing dagger bundles and still had 5% off coupons. Never shot it because life got in the way. Ended up selling it a month ago for six hundy when the poly black wasrs hit $620 and just switched over. Now the cheapest wasr is like $700 and thats a bit much IMO.

Does PSA still have the $599 entry GF3? I feel like I haven't seen it in 6 months (I've been keeping an eye out for a friend). I think the cheapest has hovered around $700. A bit much for a PSA

I bought a GF3 a year ago when they were doing dagger bundles and still had 5% off coupons. Never shot it because life got in the way. Ended up selling it a month ago for six hundy when the poly black wasrs hit $620 and just switched over. Now the cheapest wasr is like $700 and thats a bit much IMO.

Does PSA still have the $599 entry GF3? I feel like I haven't seen it in 6 months (I've been keeping an eye out for a friend). I think the cheapest has hovered around $700. A bit much for a PSA
They periodically run 599 blem sales with free shipping

From everything I've seen the PSA guns after G2 are solid. G3/G4/G5 seem to be good quality rifles, with only some features different between them (FN barrel, ALG triggers, etc.).

I never understood how people think modern manufacturing and good quality control make US AKs somehow inferior to guns made by drunks in 1940s-era factories overseas, and then 'tweaked' at an import company to make them 922R (thanks Bush Sr.).

From everything I've seen the PSA guns after G2 are solid. G3/G4/G5 seem to be good quality rifles, with only some features different between them (FN barrel, ALG triggers, etc.).

I never understood how people think modern manufacturing and good quality control make US AKs somehow inferior to guns made by drunks in 1940s-era factories overseas, and then 'tweaked' at an import company to make them 922R (thanks Bush Sr.).
In the same manner that nasa would severely struggle to recreate the saturn v or france the notre dame stained glass, folks are generally incredibly competant in manufacturing methods of their time and imperfect in those of others.
The ak is very much a mid 20th century design and the soviets being more free from the profit constraints of other economic systems created very efficient and capable factories to produce them.

Imports are still the best and american aks are still catching up. Domestic aks are really just now catching up on forgings and riveting capabilities to make long lasting guns at a price that can be justified

Back
Top Bottom