Harley Owners Assemble!!!!! Need advice

most of the harley items are not made by them. Actually almost none of the aftermarket HD stuff is made by them. You are just paying a lot for their logo on the part.

Kuryakin (sp?) makes the vast majority of their chrome aftermarket stuff (or did a few years ago when I was into all that). Save a few dollars and just buy their stuff and install it yourself. Same for windshields, backrests, luggage, etc. etc. I know HJC made their helmets for a while. HJC black helmet was $80 same exact helmet with a HD sticker on the front was $200.

$600 plus for a windshield is ridiculous. Get out of the HD shop and go aftermarket. Check out ebay, J&P and hundreds of other online stores. As far as the windshield goes, you can get a full batwing fairing with a killer bluetooth stereo and polk audio speakers for ~$750 from Reckless Motorcycles.

With the owners manual and a bike lift you can do your own maintenance. It's like $600 for a 10,000 mile service! The 2,500 and 5,000 are pretty much just oil changes. I picked up my Wide Glide in 1999 from Killer Creek and I've always been happy with the work they do. Though I rarely have any done because of the price. I have had them do some of the work though. When the newly painted tank and fenders arrived and when I had the chrome handle bars installed with the wires run inside I had them do it. When you ride out of there you have the starter kit, so just resign yourself to the add ons....

Good luck with it and ride safe. Pickup a battery tender for $50 or so, I got 15 years and 1 month out of the stock battery that came with the bike. Most of my buds are lucky to get 4 or 5 years .....

Last edited:
One last thing..... Last year I felt that after 15 years of doing my own maintenance it would be a good idea to let a pro put a wrench to the bike. I let them know I had been doing my own maintenance and it was time for the front fork bearing to be replaced. (I didn't want to mess with it.) Bikers Dream off McFarland Road did a wonderful job at a reasonable price. When I rode that bike out of there it felt like the day I bought it, everything was adjusted perfectly.

that's what I'm thinking since I'm somewhat handy, but the warranty thing and which brand?!
stick with the harley oil until warranty is up keep good records and the rest of the stuff is bolt/clip on(removable) wont harm your warranty and remember even if you go for warranty service its going to cost you 125 dollars every time you go trust me on that!

The internet is your friend when looking to add accessories to your new bike; in some cases the Harley parts are the best available (I've generally had better luck with their chrome and other finishes as compared to Kuryakyn and some of the others). There are a TON of small manufacturers out there producing unique and practical accessories and in many case they have excellent quality and service; for the big stuff (frame components, motor, tranny, primary and such) you're more limited in your choices but still many options other than stock Harley parts. Find a good local mechanic (I use Kotic Kustoms on Bells Ferry in Woodstock) and work with them when you want something outside your comfort zone; routine maintenance is simple with a Harley and you can do that and save big.

As others have said, the purchase is just the start, but you can enjoy the process of making it uniquely yours along the way. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom