• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hard Lesson Learned

fowl61

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
31   0
Reaction score
I bought a bow a couple of years ago and decided I would hunt with it during archery season. Up until last year, I had always hunted with a rifle or shotgun. I spent alot of time practicing and got where I was failly confident with my shooting. I decided my limit would be 40 yds. MAX. I went a couple of times last year and didn't see anything. Yeterday was my second trip this year. I was hunting out of a make-shift ground blind. I saw a doe come out in an opening where I wasn't expecting it. I ranged the doe at 61 yds. I knew this was way out of my range. The deer was feeding on some acorns and grass, so I managed to slip to 32 yrs. away. I shot the arrow and heard the arrow hit and saw the doe jump and run off. I waited about 10 mins. before I went to check things out. I found a liitle blood where the deer was standing, but I couldn't find anymore blood to trail it. I looked for over 2 hrs. and couldn't find it. In all my years of hunting, I have cleanly missed a couple of deer, but I have never hit one and not been able to find it. I learned the hard way that bow hunting is a different beast that gun hunting. The guys on TV make it look so easy, but IT AINT!!!

Never believe what you see on TV. Bowhunting is hard but that is the attraction for me.
Gun hunting is fine and I still love it but the feeling of having a deer walk within 30 yards
of you and closing the deal cannot be matched by anything in the world!

The only bad thing in my opinion is that once you take up bowhunting, it becomes harder
to want to gun hunt. If you like the gun, don't pick up a bow.

I like the challenge of using a bow, but I hate not being able to find one that was hit. I wish I had just missed completely. I hope I never do that again. The only times I see anyone on TV drop a deer on the spot is when the deer ducks into the shot and it's a spine shot. After talking to a couple of buddies, I think I may have hit it in the shoulder and didn't get enough penetration. Man, it was hard not being able to find it!!!

Back
Top Bottom