• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hail Damage - can my son keep the car?

It worked out but not with nearly as much money as I hoped. The insurance offered my son about $11k to total the car which was slightly above the online pricing. But if he wanted to keep the car the insurance company would deduct about $5500 for salvage value which I thought was high. He chose to take the money and keep the car especially since buying a used car right now would be a challenge. And because the car is still titled in Texas it will NOT have a salvage title for hail damage unlike if it was titled in GA - must be a Texas thing. I just wish I had listened to that still small voice that night saying "Move the car" instead of betting the weathermen were right that the hail was ending.

It worked out but not with nearly as much money as I hoped. The insurance offered my son about $11k to total the car which was slightly above the online pricing. But if he wanted to keep the car the insurance company would deduct about $5500 for salvage value which I thought was high. He chose to take the money and keep the car especially since buying a used car right now would be a challenge. And because the car is still titled in Texas it will NOT have a salvage title for hail damage unlike if it was titled in GA - must be a Texas thing. I just wish I had listened to that still small voice that night saying "Move the car" instead of betting the weathermen were right that the hail was ending.
So you got $5500, kept the car, and just had to buy a windshield? And now you have a car that you don't really give a crap where you park it because who cares if it gets a door ding?

That sounds like a major win for me.

Back
Top Bottom