• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gunsmith in Sandy Springs area?

gkatl

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
24   0
Reaction score
I am looking for someone local that I can get to move the rear sight on my RIA 1911. The damn thing is off-center to the left about a millimeter (been that way since I purchased it from another member) and I can't seem to fix it. I have tried banging on it myself to no avail - it won't budge. I am hoping I can find someone relatively close to me in Sandy Springs (if it were a bigger job I'd probably just drive out to Ott). Anyone know of any Smith's in my area?

So someone has recommended a guy by the name of Bill (William) Hayllar. I believe this is the correct spelling. He is literally about a mile from where I work and I found some good comments about him online, so I'm going to bring him my gun and see what happens. I'll follow up - in case anyone would be interested about him.

Hey tlw. No - I didn't get around to trying heat, but someone else suggested that to me earlier today and it does seem like that might work. I would have tried had I not found Mr. Hayllar today! To answer your question - yes there is a screw in the sight, which I did remove before trying to push it over. Perhaps the previous owner did use "loc-tite" for whatever reason?

Anyways - all moot now. I actually just got back from Bill Hayllar's place. I have to say I am extremely impressed with him. Granted - mine was a very small job. However, I just showed up at his shop - keep in mind he doesn't know me at all, I just called him and told him I got his name from a couple of places - and he fixed the sight while I sat there and shot the **** with him! Extremely nice guy and he's apparently been doing this for over 40 years. I'm definitely going to bring him bigger jobs in the future.

Thanks for all the info ODT!

oneill - he's in Sandy Springs, really close to the Fire Station on the corner of Sandy Springs Circle and Johnson Ferry if you're familiar with the area. His phone number is 404-255-2710.

thanks man thats pretty close to me, ill be bringing my business there soon hopefully!

After reading these posts regarding Bill Hayllar, I found him and took him my Mossberg500 for installation of some auxiliary equipment. He did the work while I waited and charged me a fair price. He is a GREAT guy and very experienced. He operates a flourishing business in a big, well equipped shop off the garage in his home in Sandy Springs. Would definitely recommend him for any repairs or gunsmithing you need in the Atlanta area!!

Back
Top Bottom