Guns and Ammo TV Serpa "Don't"...

With the gun pointed at his leg. Also it appears to be unintentional- he was pressing the Serpa and paddle and the when the gun came all the way out, his finger slipped onto the trigger.

Why I don't like "trigger finger button release" holsters. Too easy for your finger, already tensioned to push da button, to slip onto the trigger and, "POW". And since most of the time your other hand is crossing over to grab it, there is a good chance you'll hit a booger hooker if you miss a toe.

WHILST demonstrating the SERPA is a safe design...:doh:

Finger should never enter the trigger guard during the draw stroke. Neva...neeeeva eva.

I can't help but wonder if airing this was intentional on the part of Sweeney. I don't know him from Adam, but...

If a man wanted to point out the fault in a product produced by a large advertiser in his magazine without directly challenging the product and losing the ad dollars, this would be a good way to do it.

Neva is probably good advice for some. However most of the great shooters I know will begin taking up trigger slack once the gun is rotated out and being driven toward the target. Maybe you don't consider the end of extension "draw stroke"? But surely NEVA until its pointed at and your fairly certain an AD would hit the intended target. Saves .1- .3 seconds or so.

Neva is probably good advice for some. However most of the great shooters I know will begin taking up trigger slack once the gun is rotated out and being driven toward the target. Maybe you don't consider the end of extension "draw stroke"? But surely NEVA until its pointed at and your fairly certain an AD would hit the intended target. Saves .1- .3 seconds or so.
I was just referring to the earlier part of the draw and not pressing to target, but
BIG 10-4 on that! I've trained that take up in pressing out, though I'm far from great. Do have to be careful with that one too. I put a round right over a target in IDPA classifier because I took up a liiiiitle too much slack. Lol.

As you can see, he certainly put his finger inside of the trigger guard before it had cleared his own body, but took it out slightly, as if he realized what he was doing, and almost rested it on the trigger guard itself. As mentioned above, I do not believe it is a problem to put your finger on the trigger, once the muzzle is downrange/pointed at a threat, as bringing the gun into your sights isn't always going to happen, it's not a perfect world. I am a firm believer in shooting from retention, and practice it often, with the draw stroke included, as I believe everyone should, and will certainly get my finger inside the trigger guard as soon as I clear my body, and not necessarily once my sights are all lined up and at a full extension. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, as this is the internet and we are all stubborn.

But alas, I agree, and think he definitely goofed on that one.

Back
Top Bottom