• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gun Season - What are you using this year? Show us your Rig!

Opening weekend I will use my old BAR w/Redfield Revolution 3x9x40, the rest of the season I will use my new A bolt II stainless stalker w/Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. Both in .270.

211724-0ef5fc8f54fb73c8a656f5c2f521334d.jpg

downloadfile-4.jpeg

It should be, but I wont shoot a 270 when I only have 30-50 yard windows. I've seen deer run for days after getting thumped with them. If I'm in close proximities, I will always want a Marlin 30-30. I never miss and I never have to look for the deer.

Interesting. I've been hunting with .270 for the past 28 years and have never seen one run more than 70 yards, and that was rare. 10 yard shots and 350 yard shots. Maybe it was the shooter?

["I switched my 1-4x Hog scope with a 2-7x VXIII at the very end of last year, and I definitely recommend it. The 1-4x is great for hunting hogs in the thicker stuff, and I took a hog at about 10 yards with it earlier this year. But the 2-7x is so much better at the end of legal light, and I like the little longer distance it gives you."]

^^^ an AO - Adjustable Objective is also of good benefit in this situation

Last edited:
ya, if i keep my 1-4 hog ill prob put it on my AR as its almost a true 1x (like 1.4 i think). bought that PA on a whim hearing how awesome it is. and it is awesome. would love it for a stands/bench gun. but its a bit bulky for me to want to carry though the woods alot. i hunt public mainly so i do ALOT of walking to get back to a decent spot away from the road lol.

Yeah I moved my 1-4 Hog to another AK, and I think it will be a good setup.

But another good thing about the Leupy 2-7x is the light weight. Check out the Aero Precision UL one piece scope mounts. I paired the 2-7x with the AP UL, and I think I came in under 1lb with the setup.

karlvv30 said:
It should be, but I wont shoot a 270 when I only have 30-50 yard windows. I've seen deer run for days after getting thumped with them. If I'm in close proximities, I will always want a Marlin 30-30. I never miss and I never have to look for the deer.

Interesting. I've been hunting with .270 for the past 28 years and have never seen one run more than 70 yards, and that was rare. 10 yard shots and 350 yard shots. Maybe it was the shooter?
:pop2:
I ain't touching that one
:grouphug:

Last edited:

I honestly think it was bad ammo. I forgot my ammo and asked my Father to pick some up. I think it was 100 or 115 grain that he grabbed and it didn't do what I expected. I killed my first deer with my 270 and will always love that caliber. I would just rather have a thumper up close.

Reactions: MRH
I honestly think it was bad ammo. I forgot my ammo and asked my Father to pick some up. I think it was 100 or 115 grain that he grabbed and it didn't do what I expected. I killed my first deer with my 270 and will always love that caliber. I would just rather have a thumper up close.

I've seen the same thing happen with .308, and have always refused to have one because of it, but I admit my conclusions about the caliber have been irrational. I'm certain .308 is a fine caliber.

I could not agree more about the Marlin 30/30...I wanted to pull out my old Glenfield model this season, especially in those south Georgia hardwoods where I hunt, but my dear ol' 71 year old Dad "claimed" that rifle as his own this year. :) Not much I can do about that.

Both are beauties but the top one made me feel like I need to buy some stuff. Very nice!

Thanks. That BAR is an exceptional rifle. My Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 14. I've been up the creek and over the mountain with that rifle in all kinds of weathers and it has never failed me. Not one jam in 28 years! And I have neglected it somewhat by not cleaning it enough, hunting in the rain very often, etc...It's a tank, and a bit heavy, but a tack driver and a deer slaying machine.

Back
Top Bottom