• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grizzly Guns cerakote review I

J hex

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
262   1
Reaction score
i do not usually write reviews online, but I feel this experience needs to be shared, maybe I can save someone some money or headaches in the future. I had a pistol refinished with cerakote about a month ago by Grizzly Guns in Jefferson Georgia. The finish on my gun was worn and I just wanted to have it refinished in a basic black cerakote, I saw the adds for Grizzly Guns on this site, so I decided to give them a try. I discussed what I was looking to have done and was told it was no problem, and I had no issue with the price I was being charged. I dropped the gun off and we discussed the work to be performed, I mentioned that I wanted the slide sanded smooth so that the old laser etching would not be visible through the new finish. I said that it would take actually sanding to achieve this, not just sand blasting. I was assured that this was not a problem and he would check it after blasting to see what additional sanding would be necessary. Long story short I went and picked the gun up he and I were both in a hurry so i glanced at the pistol and paid for the services. Later that evening upon further inspection I found that the etching is visible about 50% of it through the new finish. The finish is also very very poorly applied, I could literally have done a better job with a can of spray paint. I text him to discuss this and was told that he had sanded it properly and that if I wanted to sand it any better I could do it myself and he would refinish the slide. I do not feel it makes any sense for me to now have to sand the slide myself, and after inspecting his work there is no reason to have him try to do it over. I have seen and even own other pistols that have been cerakote so I am familiar with the finish. Anyone who wants to meet and see this finish in person I would be happy to show it to them, as everyone I have shown it to so far thinks it is a joke. I will be taking the pistol somewhere to have it refinished “professionally”, but for not I have it just as it was picked up, the gun has not been holstered or fired. As with any experience your mileage may vary, but I hope that this review can save someone money and aggravation in the future. I cannot believe this is the level of work being turned out by a “professional” gun smith. Please feel free to pm me for any details as I was trying to be as fair inthis review as possible.
Ted

i do not usually write reviews online, but I feel this experience needs to be shared, maybe I can save someone some money or headaches in the future. I had a pistol refinished with cerakote about a month ago by Grizzly Guns in Jefferson Georgia. The finish on my gun was worn and I just wanted to have it refinished in a basic black cerakote, I saw the adds for Grizzly Guns on this site, so I decided to give them a try. I discussed what I was looking to have done and was told it was no problem, and I had no issue with the price I was being charged. I dropped the gun off and we discussed the work to be performed, I mentioned that I wanted the slide sanded smooth so that the old laser etching would not be visible through the new finish. I said that it would take actually sanding to achieve this, not just sand blasting. I was assured that this was not a problem and he would check it after blasting to see what additional sanding would be necessary. Long story short I went and picked the gun up he and I were both in a hurry so i glanced at the pistol and paid for the services. Later that evening upon further inspection I found that the etching is visible about 50% of it through the new finish. The finish is also very very poorly applied, I could literally have done a better job with a can of spray paint. I text him to discuss this and was told that he had sanded it properly and that if I wanted to sand it any better I could do it myself and he would refinish the slide. I do not feel it makes any sense for me to now have to sand the slide myself, and after inspecting his work there is no reason to have him try to do it over. I have seen and even own other pistols that have been cerakote so I am familiar with the finish. Anyone who wants to meet and see this finish in person I would be happy to show it to them, as everyone I have shown it to so far thinks it is a joke. I will be taking the pistol somewhere to have it refinished “professionally”, but for not I have it just as it was picked up, the gun has not been holstered or fired. As with any experience your mileage may vary, but I hope that this review can save someone money and aggravation in the future. I cannot believe this is the level of work being turned out by a “professional” gun smith. Please feel free to pm me for any details as I was trying to be as fair inthis review as possible.
Ted

Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert is pretty good.

I have use Grizzly Guns for cerakoting my pistols and rifles many times and every time his work has been flawless. Steve is a great guy and will go out of his way to accommodate your needs. I live in Marietta now but still travel to Jefferson to get my stuff done by Grizzly Guns.

To be fair, deep laser etching can't just be sanded off without making a dip or low spot in that area. You would need to mill the entire surface smooth to do it properly. However if you were assured it would be taken care of that's a different story.

As far as the poorly applied cerakote goes can you share pics or details? Runs in it or a rough surface?

I can take some pics when I get home, I am honestly not sure how much you can see in a picture, my photography skills leave a lot to be desired, you can see all of this for sure in person, I have shown this pistol to a few people.
Thank you for the recommendation karlvv30

Tkim, I am glad you had a good experience, as I said different people may have different experiences at the same place.

7DDBB0E7-20AF-410B-9BBC-5B731239753A.jpeg
732C498A-4A63-4FAF-988E-7769E9D8AAB7.jpeg
B67BA3D5-A349-4133-9185-1F4E9F13B3AD.jpeg
B8E5BE94-1489-47B1-A663-6213C1F9905F.jpeg

I tried to post pictures showing what I am talking about, I am not sure if you can see, but as I said above i am happy to show the pistol to anyone interested before I send it off to be corrected.

Back
Top Bottom