• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Grass/Ground Cover for dam slopes

dr9

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a grass mix, something like the DOT puts out on highways, a mix that grows spring summer fall, needs no maintenance (occassional mowing ok) or watering?

Grass vegetation is an inexpensive way to prevent erosion of embankment surfaces. If properly maintained, it also enhances the appearance of the dam and provides a surface that can be easily inspected. Tall vegetation is not good and also provides a habitat for burrowing animals. Kentucky Bluegrass, Kentucky 31 Fescue or a Perennial Ryegrass would work.

might look at a variety of grass called love grass, is sometimes used on sloped areas by highway folks for erosion
control.

Exposed seed will wash down the slope in a rainstorm. It needs something to hold it. Wheat straw, something.

your bushhog waste and existing vegetation might be enough

Dot Slopes also get “tracked in” with bulldozers before they are hydroseeded, to create tiny little terraces to help hold the seed

Get pricing from DOT hydroseeding contractors.

Need to plant soon, before it gets hot

And keep the seed moist for a month.

I already had a guy do the work, just checking after the fact if I wasted my money or not. Should have researched first but here I am second guessing. Keep the replies coming yall.

Wheat straw also helps with moisture and shades the germinating seed. If you’ve already thrown down seed throw down a layer of wheat straw before it rains hard and then keep it wet and you’ll be fine

Back
Top Bottom