Good reloading desk covering???

saygoodnight

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
4   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting a set up started for doing reloading & wanted to get some opinions of what I can use to cover the desk I will have my set up on.
I will be doing a lot of my cleaning & modding on the same desk & didn't want the guns on the hard surface where they can be easilly scratched.

Something failry cheap that would be strudy as well?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Maybe baby seal or unicorn hide! :hungry:
Haha!
Need some ideas guys. Leather would be optimal of course, but any cheaper easier materials to come by, or that you use successfully.

canned_unicorn_meat_zoom-580x436.jpg

I made a wood insert to slide in the insert that's above the drawers then mounted the press to that and the large desk calander keeps the scratches down

For all my workspaces I setup/build a bench with a strong and sturdy top (usually two layers of 3/8" = 5/8" MDF) with a cap of thin 1/4" MDF on the top. It is smooth so it is easily wiped down. It is "hard" but will not scratch metal finishes (its made of paper for goodness sake) It is what's left on top of the bench that will scratch, not the bench.

When it gets stained and worn, it can be unbolted an replaced pretty cheaply.

- - - Updated - - -

For all my workspaces I setup/build a bench with a strong and sturdy top (usually two layers of 3/8" = 5/8" MDF) with a cap of thin 1/4" MDF on the top. It is smooth so it is easily wiped down. It is "hard" but will not scratch metal finishes (its made of paper for goodness sake)

When it gets stained and worn, it can be unbolted an replaced pretty cheaply.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm getting a set up started for doing reloading & wanted to get some opinions of what I can use to cover the desk I will have my set up on.
I will be doing a lot of my cleaning & modding on the same desk & didn't want the guns on the hard surface where they can be easilly scratched.

Something failry cheap that would be strudy as well?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'd want a reasonably hard surface to avoid dings and such. Wood is cheap and you can get finished thin birch plywood at Home Depot/Lowes then use a good sealer on it. Cut it and toss it on top of the table then secure it. Mine I used simple wood screws. It should be bright, resistant to stains and easy to clean. If using it as a surface for guns don't just set them on any surface for as mentioned it's not the surface so much but what's left on it (even soft rubber mats).

I really like those rubber foam gun or parts mats. They are mobile, easy to clean and give a measure of grip to parts when finessing a lever, pin or other part where it belongs. I have several spread out in the man cave.

Baby seal is an option and I think there is a club for that...... The expense of unicorn is cost prohibitive.

Back
Top Bottom