• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good hunting calibers.....

Cudruln

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
I have hunted a hand full of times in my life, but after my recent first hog hunt I am going to start hunting this year. I have some land lined up to hunt deer and am trying to determine if hunting with a ar based 7.62x39 is a good round to hunt with. Or is it to much or to little. Thanks for helping out a new guy.

Edit: I should have been more clear. Looking for a good caliber for deer

Last edited:
That's a good round. Some like the .223 and a lot of people go with .300blk but, it's a bit pricey. I'd love to hog hunt with my Ak.

7.62 works great on hogs but in my opinion none of them are "hunting rounds" I would look for something along the lines of .30-06,7.62x54r, .270 something like that. .308 at the least

7.62x39 will kill a deer,no doubt. Know a guy who uses his SKS with a 4x scope. Ive helped this guy track deer that SHOULD have died alot sooner too. IMO if your wanting to get into hunting without spending alot or cash buy a used name brand bolt gun in one of the more "traditional" calibers and you will be much happier. GREAT deer rifles can be had for $250, including the scope. For the record I hunt with a Savage Axis 30-06 and a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem...but I do have dreams about taking a deer with my AR, maybe with a 6.8 upper.

My first deer was killed with an SKS so yes 7.62X39 will work fine. That being said if I am hunting now the only gun I hunt with is a .270. I only gun hunt 5-6 times a year the bow has taken over in the past 8 years.

Depends on how far your opportunities may present. 7.62x39 is capable under 100 yards, but I would go with a .270 or .30/06 in a bolt gun. Good short range or long range and great stopping power. Plenty of good bolt guns shooting less than 1" moa for less than $400. I really like the Ruger American for this price point. Read the reviews for yourself. They are great for the money. Several others that are fine rifles also...Just look around. You don't have to spend $1000 for a good, accurate rifle anymore. Those days are behind us and that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom