• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good cheap bear gun for Grizzly country

I think the gov actually gives you money just to live there if I read that right. How is that for. Welcome Matt. Come live in Alaska we will pay you to live here. Reversed Taxation with representation. Wonderful concept! Brilliant!
**** I think we should get paid for living close to Atlanta
[/QUOTE]
LMAO! Absolutely, call it Life Hazzard pay. The poster or catch phrase should say, ( If you are stupid enough to live here well we'll be willing enough to pay you ). " " " Come, Walk the Razors Edge in Atlanta where the price of staying alive is worth the price of admission ". " Gillette is a way of life ".

I am thinking of purchasing something like this myself. As many people are caliber snobs with humans, it seems the same occurs with big game so I decided to research it. I found an article with 37 verified incidents where bears were encountered and required the use of a handgun. When a handgun was used in defense, there was a 97% success rate in defending against the bear. The one failure fired three shots and never hit the bear. (He was already injured when firing). But the better point is that about half of them used 9mm, .40 or .45. A few .357, handful of 44 mags. But the basic summation was, any handgun was a viable option. I’m not agreeing with any caliber, but facts are facts. The article is here. http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97_25.html?m=1
I’d have no problem carrying my 45 personally. I hunt in NC where they have black bears and I only carry my 9mm up there…..but I also have my .308.

I am thinking of purchasing something like this myself. As many people are caliber snobs with humans, it seems the same occurs with big game so I decided to research it. I found an article with 37 verified incidents where bears were encountered and required the use of a handgun. When a handgun was used in defense, there was a 97% success rate in defending against the bear. The one failure fired three shots and never hit the bear. (He was already injured when firing). But the better point is that about half of them used 9mm, .40 or .45. A few .357, handful of 44 mags. But the basic summation was, any handgun was a viable option. I’m not agreeing with any caliber, but facts are facts. The article is here. http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97_25.html?m=1
I’d have no problem carrying my 45 personally. I hunt in NC where they have black bears and I only carry my 9mm up there…..but I also have my .308.

I carry my edc 9 in the N. GA mountains. Feel perfectly safe with it. I’d feel safe in grizzly country with my 10mm. To each their own but I agree with you. Not panicking and well placed shots are the key. Not the caliber.

I carry my edc 9 in the N. GA mountains. Feel perfectly safe with it. I’d feel safe in grizzly country with my 10mm. To each their own but I agree with you. Not panicking and well placed shots are the key. Not the caliber.
Bet that would be easier said than done if facing a charging bear while having urine and feces running down one’s legs.

When living/visiting friends in Black Mountain, NC, I slip a .380 in my pocket for taking out the trash. The black bears there are usually shy or uninterested in "palmettomoon-tartare." If I thought there was a chance of encountering a brown bear I'd be carrying .44 Rem Mag at minimum.

For those interested in the subject here is an interesting article on the subject done by the forest service....bear defense is of particular interest to the USFS as they have quite a few employees in bear country every day.

I think Alaska is a bit of the exception for most of us. While perhaps some do, I don't go to Alaska to hunt. I hunt in the South East. Agitable black bears are out there, though most are run off with just a warning shot. But as the other poster said, to each his own. As I find with self defense, someone being shot at doesn't really stop to ask what caliber bullet you are sending their way. In the case of a bear, 3-5 rounds into it's face and front torso are likely to make it think twice if not kill it, regardless of caliber as was evidenced in the article I linked. (and if it's charging your target in the head and torso) Predatory animals will pursue a target until the damage to itself becomes a greater risk, less so perhaps a sow with cubs but even then she can't afford to take the damage and not care for the cubs. Many of the cases in the article said police were dispatching them with .40 cals and 1-2 shots. I most certainly wouldn't choose to face a 1000 pound Grizz with my 9 or 45, but that is of no concern in GA, SC or NC where I hunt. From what data shows, there are basically no Grizzlies in 47 states so most folks are never going to run into one. AK, MT, and WA appear to the only states with any left. Maybe CO in a tiny section. https://westernwildlife.org/history/ The link has a map.

Again though, to each his own. Carry a damn hand cannon if you want, I really have no problem with that. Some budget hunters simply cannot afford a $1500 handgun (a quality one that shoots every time from a reputable manufacturer) for 1 or 2 uses a year.

Back
Top Bottom