The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
I will first do individual reviews, then the faceoff
i50.tinypic.com_20f6q0m.jpg

Glock 21 Gen 4:
i47.tinypic.com_alhfnr.jpg

Reliability- 5 stars
- over about 150rds and no failures from steel case, brass case, and hollow point

Looks- 3 stars
- While I love Glock, I cant say any of them are pretty

Shootability- 5 stars
- combat trigger is ideal for the weapon, recoil is very easy with the new recoil spring that is found in Gen 4's. Mags were easy to slide in and eject.

Ergonomics- 4 stars
-A little wide, but not too bad, the new removable backstraps give an easy way to change grip size per shooter

Notes:
Accuracy for me was in and out, I started poorly with it, then began to keep tight groups at the end of the day keeping shots within the size of a baseball at 25 feet at about 1.5 shots a second(medium speed). Practical Accuracy is plainly based on the shooter and this is a duty/combat trigger that one should learn to use properly. The 13 round capacity it nice and the overall finish on the gun is great and durable to boot.

Remington R1 enhanced threaded barrel:
i48.tinypic.com_devjtf.jpg

Reliability- 4 stars
About 100 rounds down this total 16 rounds of Golden Sabre, the rest WWB. There was one misfeed on an FMJ halfway down the mag that simply required me to slingshot the gun again to shove the sucker in. This was the first time shooting the gun, but I had done a preliminary clean on it.

Looks - 5 stars
It's a beauty what else can I say. The finish is smooth, the grips are attractive, extended beaver tail & skeletonized trigger/hammer....can you see my drool? The tall sights scream "suppressor host!"- My girlfriend has requested this as her bedside gun because she thinks it looks the best.

Shootability - 4.5 stars
Smooth action with a buttery slide that has an amazing fit to the frame. Recoil was very manageable, but nothing like the demur characteristics of the Glock. Trigger is very light, but so light as to worry (A Kimber Gran Raptor I had was scary light on the trigger) and there was to creep whatsoever.

Ergonomics - 5 stars
The grips are textured perfectly, the extended beaver tail is nice on the hand, the mag release cut out mags mag swaps a breeze. I love the 1911's thin frame

Notes: Accuracy was impeccable, shot placed over shot like it was easy, this was a worry I had because some people dislike tall sights, but they did just fine for me. Shots were closer to 1 shot a second due to more muzzle rise than the Glock and the tall sights were new to me and harder to get back on target right away.

The Faceoff:
Between the two, there are two distinctly different guns. One polymer, with a 5 round advantage and lighter weight, the other steel, impeccable trigger and slim frame. I would outright say that the Glock is a combat/duty gun and the 1911 is target material and a candidate for defensive carry. Unlike some I separate combat from defense as they have unique demands that can often contradict each other.

Carry with the 1911 is easier in size, but not weight. The Glock is quite light, but not as easy to avoid printing do too its girth. While the comfort of the 5 extra rounds in the Glock is nice, the Accuracy of the 1911 is equally comforting. I'm used to carrying 9 rounds in my EDC(G33) so the 8+1 of the 1911 suffices for me. Conversely the Glock not only has the capacity to send more lead down range, but the sights that allow me to do it quickly as well(I realize the Glock does not have suppressor height sights which handicap the 1911), with practice the 1911 should pick up speed since this was my first use of these tall sights and I am quite accustom to the standard Glock sights.

Both shoot the proven 45ACP, and both are still proving their reliability to me. I would be comfortable carrying both, but in public I would carry the 1911 for ease of concealment and little need to adjust the slim frame around my body, for home carry/woods carry/ SHTF/ Zombies the Glock 21 is definitely coming with me. Currently the Glock is my bedside gun since it has the rail to accommodate my light, has practical accuracy, and proven reliably.

The Glock MSRP is $687

The Remington R1 enhanced threaded 1911 MSRP is $1140

There is no clear winner, but you can decide what factors give you the best value to price.

5 Month Update

Both Guns are threaded now
i.imgur.com_xjm04E7.jpg

Glock Update:

Still perfect reliability(probably up to 500 rounds now), but I have become much more accurate with it. I have learned the best sight picture for this gun is not with the dot directly on the bullseye but with the entire bullseye just above it. With good focus, breathing, and grip I can stack the bullets like I do with the 1911. I have been practicing drawing and firing the weapon, which is very easy to point quickly with the standard sights. It has also functioned flawlessly with the OSprey 45 attached

Remington r1 update:

Still perfect reliability (probably up to 400 rounds), The trigger on this weapon is definitely a target trigger IMO. There are times I am getting ready to fire pointing it and before I get my ideal sight picture It goes off because it only takes a very small amount of pressure to set off. It is still very accurate and even accurate in the hands of novice shooters. The tall sights are easy to line up, but not quite as fast as the Glock sights, but the 1911's sights are much more precise IMO since there is much less gap between the the sides of the front and rear sites. This is my favorite 45 hosts. It has the least felt recoil, I hit exactly what I'm aiming at all the time, and it is very quiet w/ the Osprey.

Last edited:
Great review. I have the G21 now and had the R1 standard. I liked the R1 and it was very accurate and great fit to the hand. The G21 is a little big for my hand, but I do love it also. No clear winner here either. JMO. Again great review and great info.

I want the plain jane R1 so damn bad!

The enhanced is a huge step up, seriously, you work at an FFL get it for cost, the trigger and other features make it a fantastic gun. Unless you want a can though don't get the threaded model. I don't want people to think the enhanced automatically means threaded.

The enhanced is a huge step up, seriously, you work at an FFL get it for cost, the trigger and other features make it a fantastic gun. Unless you want a can though don't get the threaded model. I don't want people to think the enhanced automatically means threaded.
I know what they are and have handled them both. I like the classic look of a 1911. The Enhanced is a great gun, and I love the sights...but I want the plain jane model. Looks identical to the original Remington 1911 used in WW2 but NOT PARKERIZED FTW! Remington produced over 20,000 1911's for the war. I don't care for the extended mag release of the Enhanced either.

I know what they are and have handled them both. I like the classic look of a 1911. The Enhanced is a great gun, and I love the sights...but I want the plain jane model. Looks identical to the original Remington 1911 used in WW2 but NOT PARKERIZED FTW! Remington produced over 20,000 1911's for the war. I don't care for the extended mag release of the Enhanced either.

Hate me some parkerized

Lax is rack 'em Willie really dead?

No, that was a myth, unless it's recent. After the video he received psychological help and meds and were actually given part of the money from the ads the guys got from those youtube videos, but his sane videos are much less funny.

Back
Top Bottom