• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glass bedding heading my way!!

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
So it lloks like I am going to have to bed my 338-06 Ackley. It consistantly shoots two inches and and two inches left. I adjust the scope to hit center and it will. Let it cool, and right back to the same spot. Now this rifle wil group very well shooting just aunder or around an inch and darn near 338 Win mag specs. Oh well I guess another hunting season mised by this rifle.

Decision to use acraglass or some of the other alternatives and or pillar bed.

I guess it is worth mentioning the barrel is free floated. It has done this with two different scopes and two different stocks.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
what stock. what barrel profile?

personally I like the accu glass gel or Marine Tex for bedding.

the release agent with accu glass works well but so does Clear kiwi shoe polish.

look for other things

muzzle crown

presure on the the action
( action screws hitting the bolt)
( magazine box being compressed against the action by the floor plate)

I don't own a bolt action that has not been bedded

Last edited:
It is a detachable mag Remington 700. My plan is to go through it all when I do the stock work. There are no muzzle issues. It is in a Boyd's laminated right now. It did the same thing in a free floated bedded synthetic. It has different scopes, Nikon with talley rings and now a Leupold with Leupold rings. Same problem. Rifle has less than 100 rounds the barrel since having it redone a year ago.

Having thought about it some more since getting some sleep, When I took it out of the synthetic stock, after bedding. I realized when i took off the Nikon scope it had a broken ring mount screw. Since it was already in the boyds by then, I left it. It looks better in the boyds though lol

Last edited:
So it lloks like I am going to have to bed my 338-06 Ackley. It consistantly shoots two inches and and two inches left. I adjust the scope to hit center and it will. Let it cool, and right back to the same spot. Now this rifle wil group very well shooting just aunder or around an inch and darn near 338 Win mag specs. Oh well I guess another hunting season mised by this rifle.

Decision to use acraglass or some of the other alternatives and or pillar bed.

I guess it is worth mentioning the barrel is free floated. It has done this with two different scopes and two different stocks.

Any other suggestions?

Try putting a shim between the bbl and end of forearm to supply some upward pressure, then try shooting it again. If that solves your problem, you may only want to epoxy a pressure pad into the forearm tip.

I have done quite a few with JB weld. Very strong and doesn't shrink and available everywhere. Devcon 10110 plastic steel works well also. Just be sure and let either set up just a little so it's not too runny before using it and dont try to get either too thin, you may have to relieve some of the stock with a dremel and put some small odd angle holes to create a good lock in these areas. For release agent a thin coat of kiwi neutral shoe polish is the cats pajamas. You're gonna need a couple of other things too like some long bolts that fit the action with the heads cut off to pilot the action into the stock, and a couple of really big rubber bands or tourniquets to wrap it till it sets up. maybe some modeling clay as well to keep the epoxy out of some areas in the action and prevent mechanical lock. Don't forget plenty of painters tape to cover everything outside the bedding area. as with most work, prep is everything. $10 worth of materials oughta do it.
Good luck.

I have done quite a few with JB weld. Very strong and doesn't shrink and available everywhere. Devcon 10110 plastic steel works well also. Just be sure and let either set up just a little so it's not too runny before using it and dont try to get either too thin, you may have to relieve some of the stock with a dremel and put some small odd angle holes to create a good lock in these areas. For release agent a thin coat of kiwi neutral shoe polish is the cats pajamas. You're gonna need a couple of other things too like some long bolts that fit the action with the heads cut off to pilot the action into the stock, and a couple of really big rubber bands or tourniquets to wrap it till it sets up. maybe some modeling clay as well to keep the epoxy out of some areas in the action and prevent mechanical lock. Don't forget plenty of painters tape to cover everything outside the bedding area. as with most work, prep is everything. $10 worth of materials oughta do it.
Good luck.

I used JB Weld on it and kiwi as a relaes agaent. I taped off the trigger and apllied kiwi to everything. I used the factory scews to tighten the action down and then tourqed it. 15 minutes later i pulled it out of the stock and let the JB Weld cure up good for a day or to. As of right now I am just waiting for a chance to go shoot it. And then recheck to see if everything i did took care of the problem.

After bedding the rifle I went and shot it yesterday and today. It held its zero. The shot low to the right was me, the other shots are center top. Picture posted sideways. Rotate clockwise a quarter turn lol

Back
Top Bottom