• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Giving it a try

rawolfee

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
I have been thinking about reloading for a while now, but have never taken the steps to get started. One of the main reasons for wanting to get into reloading is my favorite hunting rifle is a .35 remington. Ammo is not hard to find, but there are just not that many factory loads to select from and I think it would be fun to come up with some of my own.

Having said all of that, last week I decided to check out OTD to get some advice on what press and other equipment to buy. Seemed like every thread i read started with "get a manual and read it first" or "find someone that reloads". Well I took the advice on those threads and just recieved my Lyman Reloading Manual in the mail today. I also befriended a guy at work that reloads and he offered to have me over for a lesson. I will make sure to finish the manual and spend an afternoon or two over at my coworkers house before I make any decisions on what to buy.

Just wanted everyone to know that your advice is read in these threads and it is greatly appreciated. I will follow up when I make my equipment purchase and get started.

I'm glad you read through the posts before posting and asking what you would need. Read that manual and scour this reloading thread and you will be able to gather a lot of insight before you start. Of course you have to take things with a grain of salt but if you read enough posts on line you will be able to tell which guys know what they are saying and those that don't. Good luck and have fun. You'll probably find yourself reloading almost every caliber you own. Most of us do.

That's great news! Don't get discouraged as everyone has come across a hurdle or challenge. Correctly identifying it and taking corrective action is inspiring to me personally. When that time comes you have a wealth of experience just a hunt and peck on a key board away.

Looking forward to hearing a report of your first reloads and step towards further shooting independence.

Awesome! I like when people want to get into reloading. Just like RamRoddoc said, you WILL have challenges, period. It is fun though to figure out why something happend and how to prevent it. In addition to the Lyman Manual I recommend the Richard Lee 2nd Edition. Good Luck on your adventure, just be warned it is HIGHLY addictive! The first time you fire your own hand spun ammo down range you WILL be hooked.

It is a lot of fun. I've been reloading for almost 6 months and am now getting into making my own 300 blk ammo. It's tedious at first and frustrating when you make mistakes but when that ammo fires it is awesome.

After a while you may get into casting. My gas checked 30-30 loads cost me $3.40 a box to reload. Where yo will really save yourself money is loading calibers like 44 mag. or 45 long colt.

Back
Top Bottom