Getting a Divorce ... any Advice?

Such great, realistic advice in here. Thank yall for sharing your stories and continued support. I prayed to our Lord for help and he has definitely provided me with some through the ODT

I'm a planner and goal oriented so I've been thinking about this for a while now (especially concerning support payments). It is surprising all of the men I work (all over the US) with who have experienced this and are willing to help set me up with a lower paying but lower stress job so I can spend more times with the kids. One company owner I'm consulting with spent $800K on his divorce attorneys fight against the stake she thought she had in it. Another woman spent $500K on fighting her drug addicted ex that was manipulated their kids against her.

While this **** is undoubtedly against me as a breadwinner male with a SAHM lazy narcissist wife ... I do feel a lot of the statistics are because men typically do some real stupid things when SHTF in their marriage. Especially if they were caught off guard. They move out, can't handle their anger, go in a deep depression, develop bad habits, etc. Especially if the woman decides. The b1tch be done with you and the b1tches around them make sure she sticks to it.

I've been thinking and planning this for years, and was able to get over her quickly once D day happened. Getting over the relationship and the life I thought we could have was tough as hell, I can only image what it is like for men not prepared for it.

It's all about the kids. When I see the damage she does to them living her life... it gives me such a resolve that I think I can survive the really sh1tty times I'm about to go through.

My ex poisoned my kids with lies. She claimed their stepmother broke up our marriage, in reality, she got a boyfriend and left me with both boys, 6 and 8. I didn't even meet my new spouse until my ex had been gone almost 6 months. She got her maiden name back, and joint custody of the children, neither party to pay child support. That was because she didn't want to pay me child support, and have me bear all the expense of raising the children. I had paid to put her through nursing school, she left after realizing she couldn't squeeze any more money form me to blow on frivolous items. Only time she came and got the children was when she had family in town, as soon as they left, she would return the children. She was a covert narcissist, of the the "poor me, why does everyone treat me so badly" variety. If your wife is really a narcissist, I highly recommend you look up Dr. Ramani on youtube, it is incredibly eye opening, and gives you good tools to deal with narcissists.

I've been thinking and planning this for years, and was able to get over her quickly once D day happened. Getting over the relationship and the life I thought we could have was tough as hell, I can only image what it is like for men not prepared for it.

Truth. Some words that helped me - "Misery comes from not accepting the reality of your present situation." If you can't change something, accept it and move on. It's really, really hard, but the sooner you can do that, the better off you'll be. Sounds like you're already well on your way. Best wishes.

I’m sorry to hear about this DWALK. From experience I can say when you finally get away you will be thinking why the hell didn’t I do that sooner. Granted I understand about your daughters. They are young and resilient sure it’s going to break your heart seeing them devastated but it will get better. Also don’t sweat the small stuff such as losing friends over this. If they stop they were never your friends anyway. All in all priority number 1 is you. Your good your girls will be good. In closing never go back because it will not work. Trust me I tried it was different in the beginning then turn right back to the way it was. Never make a decision with emotion, learn to think and breathe every step. You will be fine, you will find someone that will make you happy (they must love your girls) and life goes on. Much prayers for strength, clarity and emotions in the coming days.

My ex poisoned my kids with lies. She claimed their stepmother broke up our marriage, in reality, she got a boyfriend and left me with both boys, 6 and 8. I didn't even meet my new spouse until my ex had been gone almost 6 months. She got her maiden name back, and joint custody of the children, neither party to pay child support. That was because she didn't want to pay me child support, and have me bear all the expense of raising the children. I had paid to put her through nursing school, she left after realizing she couldn't squeeze any more money form me to blow on frivolous items. Only time she came and got the children was when she had family in town, as soon as they left, she would return the children. She was a covert narcissist, of the the "poor me, why does everyone treat me so badly" variety. If your wife is really a narcissist, I highly recommend you look up Dr. Ramani on youtube, it is incredibly eye opening, and gives you good tools to deal with narcissists.
LOL
sounds almost exactly like my ex #2.
must be something they teach in nursing school.

My best and only advice. GET AN ATTORNEY unless you are one. Even if you are one GET AN ATTORNEY.
I highly recommend Shewmaker & Shewmaker - Alexa Lewis is ONE OF US. She is a partner at the firm, extremely competent and did an amazing job with my divorce. That sucker lasted almost 3 years in Fulton County. - Just my two cents.

Currently living separated. We have kids 8, 6, 4.

I've hated where with live, the people we hang out with, the values we are instilling in our kids for quite some time now. I wanted to move to the mountains, but we are settling for the northern suburbs as she wants to stay around the rich neo lib hypocrites here in the city. She has done nothing to accommodate my desires for change, nor even given me an outlet (I was ready to buy undeveloped mountain property 5 years ago). We have already filed and are currently living separated.

Trying to be unbiased and understand it takes two to create and terminate a partnership … the reality is our values have gone into complete opposite directions and they have reached the breaking point over how we raise our kids and the lifestyles we live.

We are dividing the assets and plan to go 50/50 joint custody. We both have lawyers but trying to work things ourselves to keep those costs down. The biggest thing is who is in charge of education, as that determines where we live. I've been playing my cards right and have made it economically infeasible to stay where we currently are, but we ain't moving out close to as far as I want.

Any advice on how to move on? I'm much happier knowing I will have a future that will allow me to live a life closer to my values. But being alone is scary. Going through the process is scary.
You are a wonderful father, even if you stray off the high road we would understand.

I've been right where you are. You have a lawyer. Let him negotiate a deal with your wifes lawyer. You stay away from her and out of any conversation/negotiation with her. She already has let you know you are not important to her anymore, don't pretend she cares. Get smart. Use your Lawyer!

Back
Top Bottom