• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting a Divorce ... any Advice?

To a irrational and illogical adolescent and teenager they are going to pick fun Mom over structured Dad. I feel like this is going to be a long game with a lot of tough years coming up.

I've been through more divorces than anyone else that has posted in this thread, by a large factor.

The quote I left is not necessarily true. You would be surprised how many adolescents, especially girls, actually seek structure and organization in their lives, and expect their parents to provide it. The main thing about providing structure is to keep open lines of communication and avoid arbitrary decisions. Also appreciate that "Tweens" live in a completely different world than even 30 somethings. I can't emphasize how important that communication is - make sure they understand that they can call, or come to you any time they want to.

"50/50" is a myth. The children have to go to school and have a place to put down their heads at night, and that's going to be home, and that circle of friends is going to be their world. You are already on the right track track by insisting on large blocks of time with each child. The only "50/50" I've ever seen work, the parents owned a nice house in an upscale neighborhood in a good school district - the children stayed there 24/7/365 and every 6 months one of the parents moved into the house.

For you personally, avoid the pity party, and avoid the feeling that you have to "get back in the game." I don't know you or your interests, but you have church - and there are probably other social groups in your community that provide an avenue to meet like minded people (read "women"). We live in a society that considers such in person interaction "lame" but it;'s a much better and satisfying way to meet people and establishing relationships than swiping left or right.

Finally, take this to the bank - we all like to think that whatever issues we are facing are insurmountable. I can assure you that any issue that comes up in your divorce has come up 100's if not thousands of times before and the parties, the court, the lawyers, the children, by and large come through it o.k.

Might be the best time of your life. Been there, done that and lost it all.

Take it or leave it but your wife is going to pray on your emotions in court and will still be "putting out" and telling you that we might be able to work it out. DON'T FALL FOR IT! Let your lawyer answer for you because she is going for your throat to get everything she can. Again, keep it in your pants and the your divorce lawyer handle business.

Best of Luck

For your amusement.....

I was married in 1994. Thought I knew her but probably didn't, even after a year of courting and in church. She was either a stark raving lunatic and hid it well OR I drove her crazy in a short amount of time, not sure which. In any case, she made a good effort at killing me by dropping in the couch behind me and getting me in an arm lock, cutting off my blood supply to the brain. I was barely able to get her off me and break the lock before I passed out. She was furious with me. She and her aunt (who watched the assault) had just returned from the office of the meanest, nastiest low down divorce attorney in the Upstate and he'd refused to take her as a client for our upcoming divorce.

I'd already retained his services.

Another reason I don't date big women! :spy:

Here is the kicker, where God has a sense of humor. This part of the message will self destruct. I married a cute but cubby redhead. "**** the 10's, but marry a 7" is what I was taught She's probs a 6 ... ,,, all her local friends are smoking hot tall woman, mainly blonde, married to rich type A dudes. That is her support network. So she is thinking like an entitled smoke show right now, and that is not who I thought I married at all. I out kicked my coverage at work, but I stayed in my lane when it comes to partners, yet I enabled her to build a life I don't want to be a part of. I married a lazy procrastinating narcissist and enabler her. She was raised by narcissist and her father was an enabler who was the HMFIC for bulding the Blue Ocean launch pad in FL. He ran offices for Turner Construction. My MIL didn't get a toothbrush until she was 13. My wife's grandmother should be on TLC hoarders. My FIL paid all her bills. His son is 35, lives with mom, and has never kissed a girl even though he has an $80K degree from SCAD. The FIL died in Feb 2 years after retirement as he smoked and drank himself to death.

Yeah that definitely sounds like part of the problem. I don't know the whole story but women are always judging themselves in comparison to their friends. If her friends are all living the lifestyle of rich trophy wives then I'm sure that's a huge influence on her expectations of you.

Sadly 35-year-old celibate men aren't that uncommon anymore. I read a study from 2019 that said that approximately 30% of men under the age of 30 are virgins. It's an unfortunate result of tinder and dating apps. We now live in a globalized sexual marketplace and the majority of women only want the top 20% of men. That leaves a lot of average men out in the cold. Another reason that you should be using your time alone to work on yourself to make yourself as attractive as possible.

And yeah God definitely has a sense of humor although I don't always understand it. What kind of church do you go to? I've met some great women by volunteering at community outreach programs through church.

Good luck reklawd reklawd . Officially divorced a few months back and I can clearly see how I was screwing myself staying in if for the kids. The kids are still my main priority but their mother is being a pain about things now that we're split. I'm not looking forward to any more lawyer fees if she gets stupid on visitation, but communication is they key there and I've been getting the voicemail a lot.

Rest easy knowing you control your own happiness and values now. It took me a while to figure that out...

My commo with my ex has been strickly by email for years now. Apps like Our Family Wizard work well for maintaining commo and a record of everything.

My attorney told me “you can hire me or a hit man. You’ll wish you’d hired the hit man in the end”
Long story short…I hired an attorney and got screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to work with a guy whose wife cheated on him and got pregnant. She was going to divorce him but her lawyer told her to wait until the baby was born so that he would be responsible for child support. (doesn't matter who the father is, if you are married at the time of birth it's legally considered your child) She had the kid, divorced him, took the house, and hit him for child support for a kid that wasn't his.

I told him that if I was on the jury at his murder trial I would definitely vote not guilty

Back
Top Bottom