Georgia Self Defense Laws

Okay so say it goes down this way, a guy strikes me in the face, We get into a slugfest and I decide it best to leave before it escalates further. While I'm getting into my car he dives in and starts attacking me again. My gun is in the glove compartment of the car, I pull it out and shoot him at point blank range. Whose in the wrong??

Okay so say it goes down this way, a guy strikes me in the face, We get into a slugfest and I decide it best to leave before it escalates further. While I'm getting into my car he dives in and starts attacking me again. My gun is in the glove compartment of the car, I pull it out and shoot him at point blank range. Whose in the wrong??

There are too many possible variables for this to be a simple answer. Whether or not the aggressor has a weapon, whether or not there is a disparity of force issue, even how well you articulate and defend your actions will come in to play.

It honestly sounds like you're looking for a reason to use a weapon.

in alabama that is capital murder. In that scenario you should drive off. You already in the car.

But anytime you leave to get a weapon is a bad idea. Like if you walk in on you wife with jody and have a gun on you and shoot them then its manslaughter. If you dont shoot them immediately its murder.

I don't know why all the hypotheticals, but I have to chime in since the other guys left this out.

Had you gotten into a fray with somebody and left the scene, but you needed to return, the expectation is that you won't return with a gun, but with a cop. Anything less is considered to be a mutual confrontation.

And setting the hypothetical stuff aside, at the end of the day, a jury will decide if you were right or wrong (most of the time you will be arrested if a shooting takes place and there is ANY question at all about your actions.) If you can avoid the shooting, then you would probably go to prison for using a firearm. For instance:

If you walk in on a kid burglarizing your home in the middle of the day and he tries to flee, but you put a bullet in him, you're probably going to do a prison stint. By contrast, you are awakened in the middle of the night by a burglar and it's dark plus he advances on you and you feel your life or safety is in jeopardy, you will probably go free in the end. But, no matter how justified you think you are, there is a GREAT possibility that you will have long sessions with a lot of different LEOs and maybe even be arrested.

My own measuring stick is that I am justified in using just enough force to repel an attack. If my neighbor hoses me with water, I'm not going to fight back with a firearm. By contrast, if my life, liberty or property are in imminent danger, I just might resort to a weapon.

There are too many possible variables for this to be a simple answer. Whether or not the aggressor has a weapon, whether or not there is a disparity of force issue, even how well you articulate and defend your actions will come in to play.

It honestly sounds like you're looking for a reason to use a weapon.

Yeah you know those Georgia hearing aids can be.

in alabama that is capital murder. In that scenario you should drive off. You already in the car.

But anytime you leave to get a weapon is a bad idea. Like if you walk in on you wife with jody and have a gun on you and shoot them then its manslaughter. If you dont shoot them immediately its murder.

Ok say I drive off and he falls out of the car and it kills him because a tire ran over and crushed his cranium. Would it still be murder you think? It would be hard to drive off with a 200lb man on top of you throwing angry jabs and hooks at your face I think lol.

Ok say I drive off and he falls out of the car and it kills him because a tire ran over and crushed his cranium. Would it still be murder you think? It would be hard to drive off with a 200lb man on top of you throwing angry jabs and hooks at your face I think lol.

not if your 290 and 6,3".

One of us is dumb as hell. I just dont know if its me or you.

Back
Top Bottom