• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

General question on employee benefits, HR person needed

Unions. Another whole kettle of fish. Depends on the tenets of the local CBA.

Assume OP isnt represented since hes seeking info vs speaking with shop steward

Check with EEOC, too. But tread lightly. Georgia is a right to work state. You can be fired with almost no right of recourse other than Title VII or ADA/ADAAA claims.

Thanks in advance.
I have been self-employed most of my life. From my understanding when I had employees that they had to receive the same benefits as me, the owner. I closed my business in 11/11 and went to work for a small construction company 1/14. I was told that there were no benefits. I had to have a job and my wife has health insurance at her job so I took the job. Today I found out that they have a 401K (after more that 2 1/2 years) and they guy I replaced got it after 3 months. He was an employee of this corporation for less than 9 months. I was never told of this or any benefits. It is a family business and they have a few separate corporations but the guy I replaced works for the same corporation that I do.
Am I right, all employees get the same benefits and if so what should I do? There is no HR person, just a book keeper and 2 other people in the office.
Unknown number of employees but under 22.
I got the job because the owner is a family friend. Things around here are not going to well, I have also been put on 3 days a week since 6/1/16. I will talk to the owner but wanted to know the rules and regulations first.
there are disclosure laws espeically with reitrement plans that involve any type of company match.

If you have been put on short work weeks when you were originally working full time, Id be looking for another job first, then worrying about the 401k.

They either are hurting financially or something else is going on, are they happy with your work?

Are you an actual employee (as in, do you get a W-2 at end of the year), or a 1099 temp contractor (get a 1099 MISC income form)? Very strict rules regarding 401k offerings to employees, but "temp" employees can be defined in many ways, leaving many options for paying and offering benefits.

There are a number of ways to structure things. The smaller the company the more leeway they get. The larger the company the more risk at not following the "rules".

I've even had an owner/manager healthcare plan and never offered it to employees. So no not everyone has to have the same benefits. And some of the previous answers are right as well. Obamacare has some guidelines covering that, however several mandates have been "delayed", which is hilarious they can pass a law but delay the parts that may hurt them in election years.

To be fair the system is so royally ****ed up that even paid HR companies don't know all the changes every year. So expecting a small business owner to keep up with it all is just ridiculous.

Another reason why the .gov is strangling the American Dream.

I would just talk to them (owner).

My question would be why you are only working 3 days a week. I'm in the construction industry and we are turning down more work than we take on. The commercial side is booming right now. Even my friends doing residential are staying busy. I think I would be looking for a new job.

Just look at how many cranes you see in the sky around Atlanta. You didn't see that 5 yrs ago.

Just my $.02.

Check with EEOC, too. But tread lightly. Georgia is a right to work state. You can be fired with almost no right of recourse other than Title VII or ADA/ADAAA claims.
filing a grievance isn't covered.
if you get canned for filing an EO or "whistle-blower" complaint, most attorneys will take the case

Back
Top Bottom