• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garand stocks?

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
So I picked up the last gun I absolutely had to have last night.It's a SA M1 Garand in the 5.8XX,XXX s/n range. Doing a quick look shows it is a Korean war era rifle. The barrel, action and all other metal is in great shape for a rifle it's age, but the stock has seen better days. I mean it's bad, chunks knocked out around the butt plate, gouges in the side, no cracks but in foul shape.

I checked CMP as I knew they sold stocks, then did a quick google search. While checking the search results, one of the links listed a "WW2, slim profile stock" and a "Korean chunky style stock". Is there really a difference in ht e two original production pieces? I know this rifle feels thicker than others I've handled before, but never gave it much thought till I saw that ad.

Anybody have a clue?

Yep, its just as your search results indicated. The WW2 stocks are much thinner at the wrist and forearm and the later stocks are obviously thicker and heavier in these areas.

Back when the M1 was used in match competition the heavier/thicker stocks were preferred. I have both types on various M1's I own and I favor the thicker stocked rifle when I participate in M1 Garand shoots.

If you want some really good looking stocks, you might try Boyd's Gun Stocks, they seem to be back ordered right now but the link is listed below. Their stocks are a little on the thick side but are well made and fit perfectly. If you were to buy the unfinished ones, they can be sanded down to whatever size you want.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Military-M1-Garands-s/82.htm

Back
Top Bottom