Garage Floor Tiles?

Slyhall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
104   0
Reaction score
Who has them? If so, how do you like it? I know epoxy is cheaper but the prep is a pain and time which i dont have. My garages are roughly 20x20 and 20x10.

With tiles I figure I can move everything out, put the tiles in, put everything back in in a day. Epoxy will take me days and probably just want someone to do it for me so price would be similar.

Any cons to tiles like Race Deck or similar? Tips? Thanks

I have painted plenty of commercial floors with epoxy. My recommendation is to stay away from painted floors especially epoxy.

If you drop a wrench, screw driver, or other hard object on an epoxy painted floor; it will chip. It is almost impossible to make a good epoxy paint repair on a chip. If you get oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid on an epoxy painted flooor (however unlikely in a garage); it will become so slippery that you cannot walk on it (double that if it is mixed with water). If you use anti-slip additives, you cannot sweep it. If your preparation is not perfect, it will not adhere. If you have any oily spots, it will not adhere (even if you prepare the oily spots with your solvent of choice).

If you have someone you do not like, paint their garage floor with epoxy paint. Then sit back and enjoy.

What are you trying to achieve? A better look or for function? They make concrete stain/paint that will make it look cleaner with out all of the headaches of epoxy with chips in it and less prep. But if you get oil on it, it will stain it.

I painted my garage floor with latex porch paint about 25 years ago, did OK, recently washed it and went over it by hand with 50 grit sand paper, then painted it with oil based that Lowes said they painted their floor with. It tends to come up where the tires rest on it, but otherwise OK. Thinking of putting tiles down where tires rest. Post a pic when I find it.

I also insulated the garage doors.

Attachments

• Garage_floor_repaint 002.jpg
    Garage_floor_repaint 002.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Garage_floor_repaint 003.jpg
    Garage_floor_repaint 003.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 12
  • Garage_floor_repaint 004.jpg
    Garage_floor_repaint 004.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 12
[QUOTE="nascar,

I'm in it for both looks and function. I have so many oil stains right now. I just figured I'd go with tiles so I could knock it out in a day. Guess at this point I'm going to go with tiles within the next month or so after i finish some other projects.

Back
Top Bottom