• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fundraiser ideas?

ckarr

Bear Icon
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
Alright, so without going into too much detail, my wife and I started fostering a year ago. Our second child in and we are extremely attached. Crazy family situation, but long story short, DFCS is trying to pull him from our home and place him with someone who may or may not be family. He is loving life here with our three kids and they also will be devastated if he ends up in someone else’s hands. Even the mother wants us to have him over the other ppl. So we are going to lawyer up and fight DFCS for him so we can keep him permanently. It’s not cheap of course and some friends suggested doing some fundraising. One friend owns a farm and is willing to do some raffles to make some money. I’m curious if anyone has any experience with gun raffles or other fundraising methods? I’d love to hear them. By the way the retainer is $5,000. No telling how much it could end up costing. We got into this wanting to help children and their parents struggling and have been astonished at the crazy junk we have dealt with through the system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated for raising money

Yeah. I’ve set one up for a friend in desperate need before. I just could never do that for myself. Idk I’d feel like I’m asking for a handout and couldn’t ever do it. But would rather do something like a gun raffle. Just not sure if that would generate much or how it would go

No experience in running a gun raffle, but I do have a question for you. Does your foster child have a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) volunteer representing him? Some states call them Guardian Ad Litem. They can do a lot of good in assisting the child. Their main job is to do what is in the best interest of the child, which isn’t always what DFACS wants, by a long shot. Judges place a significant weight on what the CASA volunteer recommends, at least in most jurisdictions in GA they do.

Yeah. I’ve set one up for a friend in desperate need before. I just could never do that for myself. Idk I’d feel like I’m asking for a handout and couldn’t ever do it. But would rather do something like a gun raffle. Just not sure if that would generate much or how it would go
I can appreciate this as I would feel the same but the way I see things it’s for the child

Raffles are illegal in Georgia unless you are a registered 501c3.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-12/article-2/part-1/16-12-22-1/
Perhaps you could get your church it to sponsor it for you? Reality is, not sure how much you'd generate on a raffle.
One of the crowd funding sites is probably best. Really hope this works out best for that child!
And kudos to you for being a foster! :yo: Special folks.....
Thank you for the info! I didn’t know that. And just trying to help anyone out in any way we can

Last year, at the "blessing of the bikes" get together at the Harley Davidson shop on Thornton Road, one of the MC Clubs was having a raffle for an AR-15, selling tickets for $20 each. You had to be legal to buy and hold a firearm in Georgia and the winner had to go to a local gun shop for the transfer. I don't know how much they made but I bought quite a few tickets, more to help them out than expecting to win. This year, because there was no ammo to be found, they didn't hold the raffle. The AR was donated to them by a kind person so they had no expenses there.

DFCS is a damn joke when it comes to the welfare of children in its care. Story is too long but I hope you’re able to win. I would also suggest gofundme as those have been successful from friends that have done similar.

Back
Top Bottom