• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fossilized Bones Repourposed

C Rex

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
Been too busy to post much here lately, but thought you folks might enjoy these. I picked the fossilized bones at a show last year. They had great shapes and couldn't resist. Finally got around to forging some blades and fitting them up. Drilling them out was a bit of a challenge since more mineral than bone, but I have tools.
Blades are 80crv2 and I used hemp with primitive glue on the two "Raptor" Claws, Raw hide lace on Antler Bowie. Fella I got them from swore they were tarsal bones from a V. Raptor, but being a wildlife biologist graduate I think they are most likely short ribs from some stocky small lizard. Don't know for sure but they were interesting to work with. Grandson said they were raptor toes so I'm going with his "expert" dinosarology opinion.
That's a fossil caribou leg bone for size reference. Yeah, January has been a busy catchup month for me, but haven't been sitting on my thumbs. Got a lot of forge and finish work done with all this junky weather.
Jan Fossil 2.JPG
Jan Raptor 1.JPG
Jan misc.JPG
Jan utility 2.JPG
Jan utility 3.JPG

Note: Those of you that visit me at the Blade Show - June 7,8,9, I will be moving to table 6-H (just across the aisle from were I have been).

Damn , just damn !
The quality and all that has gone into these , has got to be above anything I have run across in a while .
I tend to say we are very fortunate to have quality knife smiths like this, CRex & Biker13 along with others on this forum !

Dang! These are absolutely incredible! Bet there’s a huge sense of accomplishment when you go from raw material to the finished product.

What do the pictured knives run as far as cost?

Been too busy to post much here lately, but thought you folks might enjoy these. I picked the fossilized bones at a show last year. They had great shapes and couldn't resist. Finally got around to forging some blades and fitting them up. Drilling them out was a bit of a challenge since more mineral than bone, but I have tools.
Blades are 80crv2 and I used hemp with primitive glue on the two "Raptor" Claws, Raw hide lace on Antler Bowie. Fella I got them from swore they were tarsal bones from a V. Raptor, but being a wildlife biologist graduate I think they are most likely short ribs from some stocky small lizard. Don't know for sure but they were interesting to work with. Grandson said they were raptor toes so I'm going with his "expert" dinosarology opinion.
That's a fossil caribou leg bone for size reference. Yeah, January has been a busy catchup month for me, but haven't been sitting on my thumbs. Got a lot of forge and finish work done with all this junky weather.View attachment 6799740View attachment 6799741View attachment 6799742View attachment 6799743View attachment 6799744

Note: Those of you that visit me at the Blade Show - June 7,8,9, I will be moving to table 6-H (just across the aisle from were I have been).
Those look fabulous :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom