Food for throught on 'predicting disasters'

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
The events of this week in the pacific and potential threats in the near future have caused me to ponder a question.

Now, here is a scenario: Solar storm activity is supposed to kick way up in 2012/2013... or a terrorist has a suitcase nuke in a big city...scientists and government officials know about it, but do they actually warn the public?

The same question that was asked in several movies...deep impact, doomsday 2012, etc.

I mean if the "powers that be" knew of a real and impending event (as in: this is really going to happen) do you think that they would actually warn people of the event? Or just let everyone proceed like normal until the hammer falls?

I suspect it would depend on the event, some things would create more panic and problems if revealed than others. Katrina was warned about and still seemed to shock everyone. If you issue to many warnings people grow complacent.

I don't believe our government would want to start a panic, that's kinda like telling folks that we having unidentified objects in the sky...some folks just couldn't take it! Also if the government warned us of something really bad, it could create a panic on buying supplies...heck all they have to do around here is to say "snow!" and the grocery store shelves are stripped! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom