• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fnh fnp 45 tactical

My first love of polymer was Glock...then I got an FNH FNP 45. WOW is all I can say.

For me, the FNP is the best of both worlds....got my Glock hi-cap (actually plus one/two more) lightweight polymer and I got my 1911 hammer/hammer safety, plus a de-cock feature. And its massive size fits great in my hand. (Please don't take that last comment out of text!) Speaking of massive, you should feel how that block of stainless steel slide soaks up the big, bad ACP!

With that said, I'm still a Glock fan but I was overwhelmed by the FNH product. This pistol should be the United States Military official sidearm in my opinion.

I hope your enjoying your FNP as much as I do mine!!!

Last edited:
I posted this on the FN forum but since it's a post specifically about the FNP-45 Tactical (and I would assume the non tactical version) thought someone on here might be interested so here it is. Also i've heard that the FNP doesn't like Winchester White Box (my guess is it's got a long OAL like my issue below):

I got my FNP45 Tactical a few months ago and have shot a few boxes of factory ammo thru it. it's been running pretty smoothly so it was time to give it a go with handloads.

I picked up 250 Berry's 200gr Plated Hollow Point bullets, and 1k Zero 230gr Jacketed HP bullets. I also had a few hundred .452 230gr Lead RN bullets to play with as well.

For powders, I had on hand Titegroup (my usual pistol powder for everything from 380 to 40), Clays, AA #5, and Unique. I also picked up some VV N320 but mainly to use that for some subsonic 9mm rounds, but saw some people like it for the 45. it's not cheap but when you get over 1k rounds out of a # of powder, and extra $10 a pound isn't going to break me. I"ll try that later once I get a basic load down.

Anyway I loaded up a variety of powders, and bullets to see what would work best for each bullet.

I'll post more results later on, but the main thing I learned today is that the FNP 45 does not like longer overall length (OAL) rounds. I shot thru 10 each of a few loads of the 200gr PHP and the one load I did of the 230gr LRN, but when I switched to try the 230 JHP rounds, none of them would load. they did fine one at a time but the magazine was hard to load, would hang up on rounds (the next round would not come up) and it wouldn't load the first round (nose down in the magazine). They were all under the 1.275 max OAL for the 45 ACP (I have a max OAL case guage that I use when reloading) but they didn't want to feed. They were loaded about 1.265- 1.270".

I bought them home, and just for the fun of it, put a few back thru the press with the seater screwed in just a touch more (1.23 or so) and they all fed thru beautifully.

so moral of the story- if you are handloading the FNP 45 tactical, watch the OAL and keep them on the short side of the scale.

more results when I get to go back to the range and try the new loads. Also next time I get a chance to shoot outdoors I'll chrono a few of the better loads to get some fps. the one or two 230gr JHP that I shot singles with 4.5gr Titegroup seemed pretty accurate.

hopefully it'll help others that have issues with loads hanging up in the magazine or not feeding properly.

SpeedyR, I loaded my first two batches for my FNP Tac last night and remember reading in your post about a shorter OAL. My data called for 1.15" and 1.2" for 185gr RNFP and 230gr RN, respectively. For both loads I started the OAL a little shorter, at 1.14 and 1.19. In both instances the bullets hung up feeding from the mag, and to get them to cycle on the bench I had to set the OAL to a tad OVER my data, at 1.155 and 1.25. Just thought I would mention it, every gun is different of course and 1/100 of an inch is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but isn't this stuff part of the fun of reloading? :)

I am also using Titegroup and cast and JHP bullets. We should get our data together sometime.

Back
Top Bottom