• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fly American airlines with a pistol

It's easy. Just follow the rules. I did have TSA reject a S&W M&P plastic pistol box, because they could twist it open enough to see "gun", so be careful with the gun cases that come with the guns, even if they have lock ports, they may not pass.

But the sorriest "Pelican" type case, with a lock that can be opened faster with a wire than the key-- oh that's fine.

Ammo needs to be boxes... commercial or reloading. Not loose, not in mags.

I've taken to flying with either a crappy lower or a cheap handgun, just to keep my luggage safe. It gets much better treatment if it has a gun in it.

One tip I heard a few years back is that it's a good idea to wait about 20-30 minutes before going thru the TSA lines after you hand over your bags with the gun to the oversize office that way in case they see something they don't like then you'll be right there instead of making it all the way to the gate and have to come back and start over going through TSA again. Putting in that 30 minute cushion would alleviate a lot of headaches. IMHO.

Pull the magazine and make sure you follow CO mag capacity laws or they'll nail you at the airport.

Very good tip. Just because a 17 round mag or a mag with more capacity is legal in Georgia doesn't mean it's legal in Colorado. Definitely check the state gun laws. You never know when someone is going to wake up on the wrong side of the bed one day.

I suggest you purchase one of the larger Apache cases from Harbor Freight if you do not want to invest in a Pelican, use non-TSA padlocks and check the case with the pistol with TSA separate from your luggage rather than placing it in your luggage after inspection. You could also possibly screw some steel lock hasps to your existing case and utilize padlocks so that it conforms to current standards.
Colorado pistol magazines are limited to 15 rounds.

I lock my rifle case using combination locks that have the TSA key port in them. Got tired of having them page me back to ticket counter or gate so I could open the case up for TSA to inspect, or worse, having them cut my padlocks to inspect. You can get the locks pretty cheap on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom