• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finding land questions

Go south... Or west

I've got 8 acres next to mine I'm buying for $24k.

With a nice creek. No neihbors and secluded. I paid $33k for my 10 acres.

To give you some comparison.

Good advice. Water is essential. Google county tax records for the counties you are interested in and click on an option that gives you all the land sales in the past year, check thier location and view them with google maps-sattelite, and you will get an idea of land prices in that county. Otherwise and maybe in addition look at a lot of land parcels for sale and you will get a feel for land values and prices. A lot of leg work, but it works.

I think it is important to point out that the size of the land is important and also the lay of it. I shoot, hunt, fish, and ride on mine with the kids. While I only own 10 acres (soon to be 18) I have a 70 acre lease and another 40 acres I have permission to be on.

My minimum was 10 acres when I was looking for mine and I've been fortunate to have friendly land owners around me. But that's the case with many "neihbors". We keep an eye out for trespassers and vagrant types and occasionally call each other to keep up to date. I've put a gate and fence up for a Neihbor to help keep others off an access road that we both share. And I will check on some areas for another absentee owner next to me.

I would say that 10 acres would be almost a minimum to be able to enjoy it as recreational land, and preferably more, unless you can get it adjacent to some state land or forest leases.

You would be surprised how small 3 acres is once you stand on it.

Good luck with your search. Lots of people have given you solid advice on how to find some.

Depends on where you are looking . 3-6 acres is not secluded . I am on 12 acres and the neighbors are close . You need at least 20 if you want to be secluded . look at farmland for cheaper up front cost

I understand that. But there are areas in north west ga that have gone undeveloped as long as I've been alive, so I'd be alright for a while I think. I just want to be able to camp, shoot, maybe ride 4 wheelers without someone telling me I can't on property I own.

We are fast getting to a place where there's always someone standing by to tell you what you can and cannot do on your property. I should buy some myself soon.

The best site I've found. http://www.landwatch.com/ Click on the county and narrow your search by price, recreational activity, etc...

By owner seems to be the best option most of the time, although occasionally you will find a realistic realtor.

It depends on where you are willing to drive. If within one hour of metro Atl. your options are truly going to be limited, plus the price is going to be much higher for what you get. If you're willing to drive 2-3 hours then the possibilities are endless, and you can pretty much count on it to remain rural.

You can pay anywhere from $1k-$50k per acre depending on where you're looking.

Leave no stone unturned. I tell this to everyone. I looked at land for well over a year before I bought mine and ended up finding it on Craigslist, of all places. It was also the last place I looked. I never expected to find anything on there, but I found exactly what I was looking for.

3-6 acres within one hour of Atlanta is many times going to be priced around the same as 20-30 acres in more rural areas.

This was posted here a week or two ago. 3 acres in Heard county for a very reasonable price. There is more land to be had further out for less per acre, but this is a fair price. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-3-acres-in-heard-county.1126907/

If you finance you can expect to put down a minimum of 20%, and in most cases these days more like 30-40%. If you owner finance everything is negotiable.

This deal is hard to beat. No water, but for the cost you could easily put in a well, and it has good road frontage (dirt) and timber. This realtor is a good guy too. I have spoken with him several times before. I've never bought from him but he is realistic and helpful....Oh, and I already know that this property can be had for less...2 hours south of Atlanta, 13.6 acres for about half the cost of a new truck. $18K...$1,387/acre...Great deer and turkey hunting in this area.
http://www.landwatch.com/Marion-County-Georgia-Land-for-sale/pid/289459407

Someone please buy this...Before I do.

Back
Top Bottom