• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally!!!!!!

deerslayer69

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
9   0
Reaction score
Finally got a buck that has more than 4 points on cam. This has been the craziest season by far. Probably have seen 20 different bucks on cam but none bigger than a 4 point. And of course it comes in on my bithday at 12:30 in the morning.... Has anyone else been having this problem? And would you shoot it?

Attachments

• 20131223_145141.jpg
    20131223_145141.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20131223_145730.jpg
    20131223_145730.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 57
We've had the same thing this year. Almost every pic of a buck on our cams are at night, but the more strange part is the lack of scrapes and horned trees where they have been found for the last 5 years in a row.

I would say that if he's a trophy to you then take him and be proud of him, if not, wait.

He isn't worth shooting yet. To be a good mature deer proud of killing I'd say 2 years.

He might not be to you, but I just dropped a deposit for one to be mounted just like the one pictured that my son shot this year. I wouldn't shoot it, but I've been hunting by myself for 30 years and have had the opportunity to take larger ones over the years.

I think a buck being worth shooting is a decision for the hunter to make. I would hope the hunter would be responsible and not shoot anything that moved, but would never bash someone for doing so if legal (Not saying you are by any means).

As of right now only been hunting for 5yrs and never shot a buck. Ive only shot does. I havent seen to first rub or scrape on 68acres but have plenty of small bucks running around.

Well 19 kilo he did ask for everyone's opinion and i gave mine. It looks like a decent buck now but in a year or two he will be a monster. He looks like a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 year old deer but if everyone kills them as soon as they show some antler we wouldn't have 140++. But it's up to him completely.

Well 19 kilo he did ask for everyone's opinion and i gave mine. It looks like a decent buck now but in a year or two he will be a monster. He looks like a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 year old deer but if everyone kills them as soon as they show some antler we wouldn't have 140++. But it's up to him completely.

I agree with you here as with almost everything that you've said. It was only the "not worth shooting" part I didn't agree with. You sound like you're a well seasoned, responsible hunter. We need more people like you in the woods if we want our kids to be able to take the monsters.

I just pointed out that I thought the decision to shoot a buck is something that the hunter should make (with the future hunts in mind). I in no way meant any disrespect toward you or your comments. I tried to be clear there and I'm sorry I wasn't, I hope this post was clear in what my thoughts are on the subject.

Looks identical to the 1 I took with a .44 handgun. Personally, I'd shoot that deer all day. But I can see why some would say let it walk. But keep in mind, if you let it walk someone like me is gonna be eatin that bad boy....lol

Back
Top Bottom