• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite armadillo getter

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I understand that instant death is rarely an occurrence. We have armadillos that are tearing up our yard. I have shot them with FMJ 9mm which is what I had in a spare mag when we came home late one night. Normally I shoot them with 22lr from a S&W 22A. Last night we came home and it took three shots of 22 velocitors to take it out. I dont know if Im just being impatient or expecting the hammer of thor from a 40 gr bullet. Ive considered wadcutter from a 38. I am thinking of switching to a 22 rifle and letting my son shoot them. As much fun as I have I know that he will enjoy letting me be the light man and him being the trigger guy.

What do you guys use for armadillo?

17HMR is very effective but I also have good luck with CCI stingers from a couple different rifles. My yard still has all manner of holes and digging but I'll keep trying to get more down.

Back when I hunted in middle GA the hunt club I was on there was a target rich environment. Those little hard shelled beasts can soak up an amazing amount of .22 lr. My favorite diller round was a .41 mag with swc target loads, even with that you sometimes got to shoot a couple of times before the spring wound down and they stopped moving. Texas heart shot from a 6.5 Swede will end it quickly. Might be more gun than you are looking for under the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom