• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Extending Length of Pull - Rifle and Shotgun

BaronB55

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
22   0
Reaction score
I have several rifles and shotguns that I'd like to have the length of pull increased on. I've considered adding a slip on recoil pad to gain an inch or so but, I'd really like to have a more permanent solution. Anyone have experience in the North West GA area on this service? Anyone you'd recommend for the work?

I'd like to be fitted so we get the exact specifications needed. I wear a 38" sleeve length in dress shirts so the arms are far longer than "normal". Because of this, I crowd the scope on rifles and have several cases of scope bite. I'd really like to fix this! :D

Thanks in advance!

I did something like this with a disc sander.

You need to figure out what you want you want the overall length is before you start cutting

Not sure I'm skilled enough to try that! It's what I'm looking for but, I don't trust my hands to complete the task without damage to the firearm. :rolleyes:

Not sure I'm skilled enough to try that! It's what I'm looking for but, I don't trust my hands to complete the task without damage to the firearm. :rolleyes:
1st figure out what you want the length to be. Buy the parts. make whatever cuts. Measure 2x cut once. tape it up with masking tape. Make it happen. When you get close to the tape slow down and take care. When to have it to shape and the tape is starting to get scuffed. Stop and take the tape off.

Decide if it's good enough or retape and regrind. The tape is your safety net.

I have done this 2x/ once with a shotgun and once with the recoil pad on my SBR. Its really not that hard.

If you are really scared buy a trash stock and an extra recoil pad. cut/tape/grind. You will prove you can do it, if you can. the cost you save will far exceed the bits you throw away.

As to the rifles, IF you extend the butt pad back significantly, how will that affect your eyeball's placement behind the scope / optic / rear sight?
If you're using a magnifying scope, will you still be able to get the correct eye relief after this modification?
Or is a longer eye relief the primary reason why you want this-- you're simply not getting your eye far enough from the rear lens / rear sight NOW?

You can buy spacers for the recoil pad/buttplate. A good finish can made by any reasonably able person, it takes a little attention to detail, and a fine job can be done by hand. The spacers come in different thicknesses, so you can make up any length you want.

Plus the better recoil pads such as Kick Eez come in different thicknesses.

The coolest spacer I ever saw was on a trap gun for a shooter who had gorilla arms. If made out of Lucite, about an inch thick, had been polished so it was perfectly clear, and made his recoil pad appear to float in space.

As to the rifles, IF you extend the butt pad back significantly, how will that affect your eyeball's placement behind the scope / optic / rear sight?
If you're using a magnifying scope, will you still be able to get the correct eye relief after this modification?
Or is a longer eye relief the primary reason why you want this-- you're simply not getting your eye far enough from the rear lens / rear sight NOW?

I need more space for the eye relief. I’m crowding the scope and can’t get proper relief nor distance to avoid scope bite.

Back
Top Bottom