• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ever come this close to a moose?

Not me. Those things are aggressive though, so I'll try to stay away lol. At least the guy had a gun.

When in rut or startled, yes they are aggressive, otherwise no. At least city moose. We had several hundred in the city year around and their population doubled in winter months when meese :-) came down from the mountains for food. My condo had a 6 foot tall fence and they jumped the fence regularly to eat the wife's plants.
On another hand, an old Chinese guy got trampled on the UAA campus 15 years ago. Some teenagers threw snowballs at the moose while it was eating shrubbery. A guy walked out of the sports center, moose thought it was under attack, turned on the guy and trampled him. UPD ended up shooting the animal and, I believe, donated meat to the food bank.

No but I spooked a black bear hiking on the AT once. I think we both shyte ourselves as it quickly took off in the opposite direction...

Is 4 feet close enough? Big difference, the moose in AK was too busy chewing on twigs in the hospital parking lot, not shot and injured like the one in the video.

The last time I was in AK, we were staying in these wood frame tents with canvas coverings. They were basically the size of a small room that could fit 2 beds, nightstand, and plenty of room at the foot of the beds. They told us to watch out for the moose that walk through the grounds at night. Well a couple of times that night the entire tent would shake, and it felt like a minor earthquake. The next morning they told us it was the moose bumping into the tents.

Ft Greely Alaska 1982, me being from the country they looked like a big cow I got about three steps away. It looked at me and went the other way, From what I've been told that was stupid, but when your young dum and full of well you know the saying. It was all about fun

Back
Top Bottom