• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electronic hearing protection review

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
The electronic Peltors from walmart are good for the price. Bought a set for the wife and she's happy with them.

Personally I have a set of peltor comtac3's

My experience with Radians Pro-Amp was a little different than his... My pair and three friend's pairs (two of which were bought at my suggestion after having a pair for a year) are currently dead. The maximum life out of those four pairs of muffs was two years. And they were never out in the rain and didn't see that much use.

And not to disagree with the review, but I had to jack the right one up in order to shoulder a rifle... they didn't fit nearly as cleanly as in his pictures.

I'll never be buying anything electronic from Radians again.

I'm disappointed in the NRR rating for all of those. The Howard Leight Pro's (not rated in OP link) supposedly have a 30 which would be great. Seems everything on Amazon has overall good ratings but the bad ratings are really bad including my worst fear... the muffs actually AMPLIFY the sound of a gun shot. I don't have enough hearing left for THAT to happen.

I have the Howard Leight Sports, and they sit on the shelf collecting dust. I recently tried the Walker's Alpha Series Power Muffs, and I promptly returned them.

I continue to use an old pair of Silencio Falcon's (discontinued I think) because I have yet to find anything that beats them. I always test them by clapping and yelling before shooting with them, and the Silencios will noticeably cut off and on with the noise. The others I have tried just do not compare.

I would not cheap out when it comes to electronic ear muffs, and I wouldn't get anything that reduces under 24/25 decibels.

I'm disappointed in the NRR rating for all of those. The Howard Leight Pro's (not rated in OP link) supposedly have a 30 which would be great. Seems everything on Amazon has overall good ratings but the bad ratings are really bad including my worst fear... the muffs actually AMPLIFY the sound of a gun shot. I don't have enough hearing left for THAT to happen.

I think whoever wrote the review was FOS
I has some HLs and they are the bees knees
I loved my Peltors until old age and abuse finally claimed them

I have a pair of Howard Leight Sports that I have been using for about 8+ years now. It is time to replace them as the foam and plastic on the ears are starting to go, but they have been great. Three pairs of batteries in those 8+ years, and that is shooting 2-3 times per month for 2-6 hours per shoot.
Now, I will say that when I shoot my ARs or pistols (except 22) I always wear double hearing protection as I already have hearing loss in my left ear, so it isn't as important for me to have really high noise reduction on the muffs, but the HL's have pretty good reduction. The other thing I like about them is the clarity of the sound when they are not suppressing it. I can turn them up and have a normal conversation even with plugs in. Also, they do a really good job of filtering out wind noise, which is a real PITA when there is a breeze.

So, that is my personal experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom