• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electrical question installing a horn

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
The horn on my trusty 1997 F150 is dead, always has been since I got it.

Rather than try to figure out why, I want to add a horn, with a dash mounted button "the way it used to be."

There is a fuse block under the hood that can supply power, and has some empty relay slots.

My question is do I need a relay? I understand how a relay works and understand why it is necessary if you add some high powered lights, but I'm not seeing the need for relay with the temporary amp draw of a horn.

Fool proof!!!!

Screenshot_20200416-193503_Chrome.jpg

I replaced the beep beep on my Toyota with a set of Hella's that sound like a 67 Chrysler. Just disconnected the factory horn, spliced into the wire, and have had no trouble. You're not using a horn like fogs or a 200w amp. Doubt you would need a relay on a separate circuit. Just add an inline fuse.

Without a relay, your switch may have a shorter life.

If the circuit is fused, it will not burn up anything. Use a proper size fuse for the load, not a 30 amp or something large.

If the switch fails it will be from pitting of the contacts due to arcing, this is what your relay eliminates (at the switch, anyway).

If it is easy to change, switch only may be the way to go.

If it is easy to change, switch only may be the way to go.

If I had to guess, I would guess the problem is in the switch which is the steering wheel. I've looked at what is involved in getting to it, and frankly it looks to me like it would be easier to just straight wire in a switch on the dash. I'll check the original horn for continuity but wouldn't mind upgrading the horn any way. College town, there are a lot of folks on cell ph. I need to get to pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom