• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dry aged beef

Shovelhead, im curious as could be. Where do you buy your meat?
Leonards meat market. I use the UMAI bags but if you have a spare fridge & a small fan you can do it. With the bags you drop the meat into a UMAI bag vacuum pack with a foodsaver and about 6 weeks later aged beef. Without the bags my son hooks a side of ribs usually 6 bones , hangs it in the garage fridge witha fan inside for air circulation. Takes about the same time. Rich nutty, buttery flavor. Some dont like it as it is a bit stronger then unaged beef. Trim the shoe leather off and grill as you would any other steak. Prime rib is lip smackin good. I'm doing two cappacolas right now. 3-4 months to lose 30% of water weight. Pictures at 11.

What is a UMAI bag?? Is that just a large vacuum seal-able bag?

They are a "sealable" bag that allows air flow in without a leaking mess. They have a Vac-Mouse that is placed in the opening and sealed. The Vac Mouse looks like a piece of very thin webbing (plastic) The kits are afforadable and a no brainer to do. Need the UMAI bags, Vac Mouse, a food saver... Cheap foodsaver I had the top of the line and had problem. Went and bought a $70 unit that works like a champ.

They are a "sealable" bag that allows air flow in without a leaking mess. They have a Vac-Mouse that is placed in the opening and sealed. The Vac Mouse looks like a piece of very thin webbing (plastic) The kits are afforadable and a no brainer to do. Need the UMAI bags, Vac Mouse, a food saver... Cheap foodsaver I had the top of the line and had problem. Went and bought a $70 unit that works like a champ.

Cool.... Thx

Dont buy the most expensive cut they actually dont recommend using like prime rib, The results are better on a sub-prime cut. Also dont try one steak... it is too much waste plus once you eat these you'll want more then one. I have a rack in the fridge almost ready 1 1/2" cowboy cuts. And the capicola. My son got me hooked. We were at the butcher that does his stock and he had a full rib in the cooler. $42 lb. We said thanks but we'll do our own.

Back
Top Bottom