• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does this count?

richs

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
40   0
Reaction score
My latest addition to my collection. My father-in-law passed away and this ended up in the house. The history is it is pre-war, carried by a Japanese NCO during WWII, the Jap NCO presented it to my father-in-law in 1945 during the occupation when the Jap NCO found out my father-in-law was in the Battle of Layte Gulf, the same battle he was in.
The sucker is damn sharp, and has a nick in the blade about 1/4 down from the tip.
20140224_191615.jpg

Frog lube the blade and if the grip is leather use a quality mink or neatsfoot oil to keep it from cracking.

The grip on the tang is braided linen cord.The scabbard is missing a part on the end, and the interior of the scabbard is wood, the wood is starting to show age. I'm planning mounting it on the wall, just as it had hung for the past 60 years at my father-in-law's home. He also had a Japanese battle flag he got after the er note, he also had original war, it will be mounted on the wall with the Katana.
On another note, he had original audio recordings of ship to ship communications he made during the Battle at Leyte Gulf in 1944, those will be given in his name to the US Naval Academy at Annapolis.

Back
Top Bottom