Does a Chevy Tahoe make a good kid hauler?

We have three kids. 1 in booster seat, 1 in a full child seat, 1 in a regular seat. We had a minivan for 5 years, and it was great for what it was. Easy for the kids to get in and out, but no AWD option really. Also, wife was tired of the minivan patrol, which I understand. I would have gone with a Tahoe, but they are too wide for our garage. Middle row captains chairs were a must, moving a seat back and forth or having kids climb over was not an option. Only options at that point in midsize SUVs were: Highlander, Durango, Traverse, Mid 2017 and older Acadia (they got smaller in the mid year), Enclave, and Pilot (2016 and up). Almost pulled the trigger on a couple of Traverses, until I found a Honda Pilot Elite AWD. Ticked every box and price was OK, not great but manageable. Wife loves it, and the heated/cooled seats are great on my back. Great lumbar support too.

Four suburbans 77,79,86,02 and one 05 Yukon still have the 02 Suburban 315,000 and still rolling with nothing but regular mtc. The Yukon I love the air ride suspension and large seats but hate all the computer crap ,but what can I say I'm old school.
Going to be looking for a Silverado in the future but it will be 2000-2004.
I know Toyotas are great for some folks but for me they weren't.
I love my Chevy's, take of them they'll take care of you.

As much as I want a v8 rwd car, the Pilot is looking like the better choice. Especially since the wife will be driving it a lot. Shes not used to driving large vehicles. Plus Im already tooled up for honda repairs so that makes it easy. And I think a Tahoe would be a squeeze in my garage. Its an 18’ door but Ive already got a full size truck and bike plus other junk in there. Still researching but leaning pretty heavy towards that. Need to see one in person.

I have a 2001 tahoe lt 4wd 5.3 bought in 2011 from member on this forum. One of the best best best used vehicles I have purchased. 216k miles and very very reliable. It isn't a DD anymore, but won't get rid of it because it has been such a reliable ride.

Only problem you'll find is obtaining one that isn't beat to hell and back. That bodystyle is 15-21 years old and most have changed hands over and over.

As much as I want a v8 rwd car, the Pilot is looking like the better choice. Especially since the wife will be driving it a lot. Shes not used to driving large vehicles. Plus Im already tooled up for honda repairs so that makes it easy. And I think a Tahoe would be a squeeze in my garage. Its an 18’ door but Ive already got a full size truck and bike plus other junk in there. Still researching but leaning pretty heavy towards that. Need to see one in person.
They changed the body style in 2016. The Elite has the 9 speed transmission with push button shifter. The touring and below have the 6 speed and traditional shifter. I would have preferred the 6 speed AT the 9’speed tends to hunt for gears.

They changed the body style in 2016. The Elite has the 9 speed transmission with push button shifter. The touring and below have the 6 speed and traditional shifter. I would have preferred the 6 speed AT the 9’speed tends to hunt for gears.
We have a 13 Accord V6 with the same 6 speed. Thats the only thing I hate about that car. The downshifts are absolutely obnoxious. Other than that, Honds did a great job with that gen Accord and V6. Hopefully the pilot being a heavier ride will help absorb some of the abrupt downshifting. Wish I knew someone who could change the programming of the shifting. If I get one, it will be a 2006-2008 based on the prices Ive seen. Id rather buy something with 125k miles for cash than have a car payment around my neck.

Well, if the Honda Odyssey van is out of the running...I'd say get the Honda Ridgeline or Pilot. I love my Ridgeline, but for kids (I know this goes against the "man card" thing) the Odyssey is the bomb. We have a 2007 that is uber comfortable, gets better milage than the Ridgeline or Pilot, and has great pick-up. A few years ago we were tempted to trade in the '07 for an '18, but with all the new fangled "safety" features on the new ones, we nixed the idea. Taking a long road trip in the van is not an issue on an aging body or hurting back. As said above, it's considered "unmanly" to have a minivan, but I enjoy the packing room and packing options, open floor space, seating options, and...easy access to back seats / car seats!!! Try getting infants and toddlers in and out of two big back doors in a garage or tight parking spot.

Back to trucks: I love my '06 Ridgeline. Milage is normally only 16-17, but it does get over 20 on the interstate if I don't have a heavy foot. There is car-trunk-sized storage space under the bed, and the bed is 48" wide, albeit a little short. The Ridgeline drives and handles more like a car than a big Suburban truck, and I have 320,000+ miles on mine now.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom