• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does 6.5 PRC require a long action?

I am doing a 6.5 Creed bolt gun for my next project. I doing research now on barrel recommendations. It's got me hung up because it can be the difference between a tack driver or the devise to actually drive a tack. If you catch my drift.

It's between a short and long. You will give up some powder using a .156 of a brass cases powder for heavier caliber bullets. So in a short action you will limit yourself to shorter lighter projectiles. I imagine to take full advantage of the heavier, longer projectiles a long action reciever would be necessary. The max length of cartridge Overall length is 2.955. max length on a AR15 is 2.260. After a little research A long action or AR 10 chassis would be necessary to accommodate the longer heavier projectiles.
An AR10 is not a long action. 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, etc are all short action calibers. You are muddying the waters with how you don't really have a clue what you are talking about. Please stop.

Now back to the OP and the 6.5 PRC. It is based on a 300 Ruger CM case necked down for .264 projectiles, shoulder pushed back, and a 30 degree shoulder. They are designed for bolt action rifles. Not the AR10 platform. They still run off of a short action receiver. You'll need a magnum bolt head.

An AR10 is not a long action. 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, etc are all short action calibers. You are muddying the waters with how you don't really have a clue what you are talking about. Please stop.

Now back to the OP and the 6.5 PRC. It is based on a 300 Ruger CM case necked down for .264 projectiles, shoulder pushed back, and a 30 degree shoulder. They are designed for bolt action rifles. Not the AR10 platform. They still run off of a short action receiver. You'll need a magnum bolt head.

A different forum reply said,
short action is okay, but that it would need a magnum bolt face.

Okay, so I need a different bolt face for a Bighorn TL3 action now.
This is correct. New barrel. New bolt head for the TL3. Zermatt makes good stuff. You got an excellent base to work off of

Back
Top Bottom