Do you think a man can buy a decent truck for $3,000?

Do you think a man can buy a decent truck for $3,000?

• Yes

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

ASH556

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
I currently have a very nice 2006 GMC Z71 quad cab. I bought it 1 year old in 2007 right after I graduated college. It's been my daily driver since then and has been on several trips to FL, MS, NC, TN. Blue book says it's still a $12K truck. I own it free and clear. The thing is, I recently got an old Civic to drive back and forth to work and with a 40 mile 1-way commute, it's really a big help in the fuel $ department. Since I'm not driving it daily anymore, it seems I could do with perhaps a little less truck. We have our 2nd baby due in a couple months and the extra cash out of my current truck would help.

So, the thought is to sell the '06 Z71 and spend $3K on a truck for hunting, firewood, etc; then put the rest down on bills to have some more headroom.

Also, it's worth noting that my wife's/our family's vehicle is a 2012 Honda Odyssey, so we're well covered in the reliable family transportation department.

Do you think a man can buy a decent, reliable truck for $3K to hunt and do odd hauling? No need to pull anything, but 4WD would be preferable for hunting. I've also considered an SUV with one of those cargo hitch things for taking the deer to the processor.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I looked high and for one for $5K for 6 weeks after my Isuzu was wrecked. Could not find one. What I did find were over-priced beaters that "ran great" but had a laundry list of things that needed to be fixed. With many Rust the dominant color.

Not a full size truck. If you do, it will be older with a ton of miles. If your wanting something like a Ranger or Nissan pickup, then yes. They are out there.

A friend of mine just bought a little Mazda 2300 extra cab for $2k. 98k miles, new tires, clean under the hood.

He was able to find it though a friend....he had zero luck on craigslist.

Do you think a man can buy a decent, reliable truck for $3K to hunt and do odd hauling? No need to pull anything, but 4WD would be preferable for hunting.
Depends on your definition of 'decent' and 'reliable'. 4wd, in general, will be a deal killer. I've never needed one and I do a LOT of hunting.
I had a '95 Nissan king cab that couldn't have been better (bought it new) for my uses at the time, especially the full 6' bed. You could pick one up now for that price or less depending on condition and mileage but it was 2wd and manual.
Short answer to your question by MY definition of 'decent and reliable' and 4wd.... "probably not".

I currently have a very nice 2006 GMC Z71 quad cab. I bought it 1 year old in 2007 right after I graduated college. It's been my daily driver since then and has been on several trips to FL, MS, NC, TN. Blue book says it's still a $12K truck. I own it free and clear. The thing is, I recently got an old Civic to drive back and forth to work and with a 40 mile 1-way commute, it's really a big help in the fuel $ department. Since I'm not driving it daily anymore, it seems I could do with perhaps a little less truck. We have our 2nd baby due in a couple months and the extra cash out of my current truck would help.

So, the thought is to sell the '06 Z71 and spend $3K on a truck for hunting, firewood, etc; then put the rest down on bills to have some more headroom.

Also, it's worth noting that my wife's/our family's vehicle is a 2012 Honda Odyssey, so we're well covered in the reliable family transportation department.

Do you think a man can buy a decent, reliable truck for $3K to hunt and do odd hauling? No need to pull anything, but 4WD would be preferable for hunting. I've also considered an SUV with one of those cargo hitch things for taking the deer to the processor.

Thanks for your thoughts!

They are out there, but they go fast, just like the good gun deals here on the ODT.
You have to be ready to pounce if you do run across a good one.

My "Home Depot and trash" truck is a 75 Chevy. Paid 400 for it, redid the entire brake system, and it's good enough for me.
You can put your feet through the floorboards, had to put a bedliner in it ($40 at the junkyard) because you could set your beer on top of the gas tank, and have to add 1/2-1 quart of trans fluid every time I go to use it.
Is it pretty? Hell no. Is it reliable? Yep, starts and runs every time. Would I drive it across country? Probably not, unless I redid the front suspension and steering.

To someone else, they would just scrap my truck.

It's all in what you are capable of doing on your own to keep it "reliable".
If you are not inclined to do your own repairs on an older, most likely high mileage vehicle, you are probably better off keeping what you've got. At least you know what any issues are, or what is likely to be needed in the near future.
Buying a used truck is gonna be a crap shoot if you get a good one or not.

attachment.php

i have bought and sold a few for right around this and yes you can do it you just have to search hard and act quick when you find em, also i would stay away from craigslist and start asking around. you'd be suprised how many people know someone trying to sell their old truck and often times this is how you get the best deals. Also knowing how and not being afraid to fix a few things helps a whole lot!! and as example we bought my dad a 200? (cant remember off the top of my head) dodge ram extended cab for right at 3k and havent had any issues with it at all after almost 2 years so just keep looking.

Also like others have said it all depends on what your trying to get out of it too, my personal woods vehicle is a 93 isuzu rodeo with 4 wheel drive and 240,000. Cranks right up every time and runs perfect, yes its beat up and not the prettiest thing and there are a few small bugs but i have ran the hell outta it for 5+ years and the most extensive thing i've had to do was change the alternator.

Last edited:
I have bought some. I have learned to: carry the cash with you or have it REAL handy. as you have learned on ODT some people will say it is yours then sell to the next guy. Carry a blank bill of sale with you. Do not buy anything that has to be emission tested (depends on where you live) - any smog work will ruin your good deal. Make sure tires look like they will last as long as you want them to - there are no cheap tires for trucks.

Yes it can be done.
It won't be comparable to what you have now.
I have bought and sold a few in this price range recently ( this year )
There are some for sell now on the ODT
If the money is available there are deals to be made
Consider the new GA title tax when purchasing

Back
Top Bottom